• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 beej

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Riley is much better after the bug bite. However, today he is a bit sluggish. He wants to sleep a lot. We changed his dog food, about a month ago. It is weight control Iams. He loved it right away, cause well he generally loves any food right away. He loves to eat it and I have no problem with him. But today, he is releasing some serious gas. ALOT. He is moping around and seems to not have such a big appetite. He isn't vomiting or anything. As the day has gone on, he is a bit more peppy. Other than that, could it be the dog food that is causing this horrible releasing of gas? If so should we change his food?

He isn't pooping a lot or anything. That is all still normal. Twice a day. I would love some feedback.

#2 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

Glad that Riley is healed from his bite. As to the gas problem, its probably from his diet. Time to look for another type of food and PLEASE don't buy Iams Brand. The R&D Dept of that company is horrific with the way they test their foods. Really gruesome. So ask your Vet, your friends, other dog owners but stay away from Iams.

#3 pamom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

My dog also has the bad odor emanating from his behind. I switched his food to one that does not have corn. I have found alot of the foods have corn as the first ingredient. I switched to one that has meat as the number one ingredient and his problem has almost completely gone.

#4 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

Changing feeds may help with the stink, and they are right, Iams is not as good as they make it out to be. Below is a graded eval of many different types of feed.

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Beneful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

Now these grades are subject to change depending on what grading method you use. For example, when I graded the various Iams feeds I never came away with a grade higher than F.

Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer's rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 morepoints

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or
nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than
the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D

69 = F

Or you could just feed a raw diet and be done with it.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#5 Bones

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (violent_storm2000 @ Jan 25 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or
nutritionist, add 5 points

Although I agree with the rest of the grading system this particular one really has nothing to do with the actual nutritional value of the food.
now i know it does have some sway like if i know x uses it then I should but pet food company's are just as bad as pharmaceutical company's in trying and bribing people and organizations to endorse them. Go by someone you know that has personal experience and remember not all lab's from the same litter may do the same on the same food. Yeah im not much for grammar on occasion, lol

Just a thought

#6 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (pamom @ Jan 23 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My dog also has the bad odor emanating from his behind. I switched his food to one that does not have corn. I have found alot of the foods have corn as the first ingredient. I switched to one that has meat as the number one ingredient and his problem has almost completely gone.

try blue dog food it is human grade, the first 2 ingredient are meat then brown rice with sweet potato, carrots etc no by product, no artificial flavor, or colors no corn soy or wheat or any gluten.

#7 Casa Rosie

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Gardens, cats, dogs, being outside, cooking, knitting, building stuff.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hey there
When Rosie went from large breed puppy food, which was high protein, to regular adult food (lower protein), her farting nearly went away. The lady at the pet food store told me it's all about the protein content and indeed, whenever she eats raw bones with meat on them etc. she gets the toots again.

#8 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

I think it just depends on the individual dog. Perry was a semi-stinky, air polluting doggie until I changed him to a total raw diet. He eats mostly lamb neck chunks - bones and meat. He loves it. (If he had a nursery rhymn in his honor it would be: Perry ate a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb...) As soon as his diet was changed, BINGO - no more doggy odor and no more air pollution.

#9 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:31 AM

Hi

You might want to try this it worked for us until we corrected our dogs diet.

Gas Busters are a muted yellow color.

Try this Gas Buster dog treat recipe.

Ingredients
1/2 cup corn meal
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ teaspoons dry yeast
2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds (soaked in water to soften them)
1 tablespoon anise seeds (crushed or powder)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon tumeric
1 cup + 1 tablespoon water
Directions for Gas Busters
The directions for this dog treat are easy. I use the bread machine to simplify the process. Simply put everything into the bread machine in the order that your manufacturer suggests.
Use the “dough” setting. When your bell rings to tell you that the dough is done, remove the dough and divide it into 3 equal parts to make it easy to roll.

You will need to spread flour on the cutting board before rolling the dough, and you should sprinkle flour onto the rolling pin to keep it from sticking.

Roll each ball into a sheet that is about ¼” thick. For these treats, I use a cookie cutter that is a little longer than an inch. It’s a good size for most dogs.

Keep a bowl of flour nearby, and dip the cookie cutter into the flour each time you cut a cookie—to keep it from sticking.

It does take time to cut each cookie, so if you are pressed for time, just use a pizza cutter and cut the sheets of dough into 1” squares.

Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet. Cover them with a clean towel and let them rise (in a warm place) for 30-60 minutes--until they get to be as big as you want them to be.

Bake at 275 degrees F for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and let the cookies sit in the oven for several hours or overnight to finish drying. When they are done, they will be hard and very crisp.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#10 Dennis_S

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

I must ask you? what do you think of Nutro max? Lola can easily clear the house at times! Makes me want to call the HAZMAT team in to condemn our humble abode! LOL

Dennis

#11 rainbowlabs

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (Dennis_S @ Apr 8 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must ask you? what do you think of Nutro max? Lola can easily clear the house at times! Makes me want to call the HAZMAT team in to condemn our humble abode! LOL

Dennis

blink.gif laugh.gif

You sound like us in our home with 3 stink bombs that fan it with their tails. Sometimes I swear they walk over to us on the couch, sit down, fart, stand up fan the tail then walk away, all so they can hear us gasp for air. LOL

#12 marymary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, swimming, boating

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

Rainbowlabs thanks for making me laugh today!!! I needed it! smile.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#13 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Our doggies sure entertain us, even with fart jokes.

Perry was sitting in the middle of the room, leg raised and licking his favorite appendage. He let one go. So he actually farted in his own face. He never missed a lick...

#14 rainbowlabs

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Perry's Mom @ Apr 10 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our doggies sure entertain us, even with fart jokes.

Perry was sitting in the middle of the room, leg raised and licking his favorite appendage. He let one go. So he actually farted in his own face. He never missed a lick...

ROFLMAO that is priceless!!!

#15 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Riley is much better after the bug bite. However, today he is a bit sluggish. He wants to sleep a lot. We changed his dog food, about a month ago. It is weight control Iams. He loved it right away, cause well he generally loves any food right away. He loves to eat it and I have no problem with him. But today, he is releasing some serious gas. ALOT. He is moping around and seems to not have such a big appetite. He isn't vomiting or anything. As the day has gone on, he is a bit more peppy. Other than that, could it be the dog food that is causing this horrible releasing of gas? If so should we change his food?

He isn't pooping a lot or anything. That is all still normal. Twice a day. I would love some feedback.

Iam is very low quality food. low quality food is ALLL PURINA, Iam, science diet, eukanumba, royal canin so good food is , wellness,evo, solid gold, blue buffalo,timber wolf,taste of the wild some natural balance you should add a little food at time because some big change to adiet can cause loose stools . go to dog food analysis .com and check out 6 star food and 1 star food you will find iam in the one star food .

#16 emmysheep

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

Miss Misha was a very stinky puppy even after we changed to a more tummy friendly food. What got rid of the farts for us was probiotics. It solved so many of her problems (soft stool, farts, dull coat ect.). We use Wysong Pet Innoculant, it is an amazing product. One bottle is about $30 and it has lasted us about 2 months so far.

#17 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

Summer has been on the same food (Pedigree Chum) for a year almost but still occasionally gets a bad case of farting. My Mum calls them throat sizzlers, as you can almost taste them. I get my own back by letting rip myself, close to Summer's face. Seeing how sensitive a dogs sense of smell is, I always feel that i have had the last laugh.

Mike, Ashley and Summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users