6 replies to this topic

#1 Lab lover

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

Hi,
I have a 5 year old lab mixed collie. Over the past few weeks her black hair has been changing to a brownish color. Also, her beautiful, shiny coat has turned into a dry and flaky one. When I pet her, this white, oily residue comes off onto my hand and / or clothes.
Any suggestions?

#2 f1dotcom

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Lab lover @ Sep 20 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I have a 5 year old lab mixed collie. Over the past few weeks her black hair has been changing to a brownish color. Also, her beautiful, shiny coat has turned into a dry and flaky one. When I pet her, this white, oily residue comes off onto my hand and / or clothes.
Any suggestions?

Did you change his shampoo? Some shampoos are harsh on the skin and makes the skin itchy and flaky and causes dandruff among other things....

I stopped using Shampoos for Zorro.... I use 1 spoon full of Dettol in a bucket full of water and give Zorro a bath with the same.... Later, I rinse him with clean water.
If he smells a lot, I use equal parts of fruit vinegar and water and then sponge him down with the lotion. And then rinse it off.

I give him a carrot biggrin.gif (yes, a carrot) everyday.... His vet said that it enhances the shine of his coat and keeps his skin nice and healthy.

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Lab lover @ Sep 20 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
Any suggestions?

Have you recently changed brands of dog food? This can cause this condition as well. Did you change to a cheaper brand?

#4 Lab lover

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the advice!
It turns out it was her shampoo - she's got her beautiful shiny coat back. biggrin.gif

#5 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Love those happy ending!...

#6 f1dotcom

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:54 AM

Lablover: You may also want to start adding a couple of drops of olive oil to his food daily.

#7 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (Lab lover @ Sep 20 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
Any suggestions?

change her feed to nothing that has corn, soy or wheat or gluten of any kind, good foods are, wellness, solid gold, blue, evo, taste of the wild . dogs who are feed low quality food a lot of time have greasy fur,dry flaky skin, itches, licking paws, ear infections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users