Dry flaky skin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 labluver94

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Walking, birding (very novice!), reading, and spending time with my furkids and human kids!

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

My 14yo lab has really flaky,peeling skin in big patches all over. He is also shedding a ton. I brush him everyday and the fur just flies off of him. We had him at the vet over a week ago for this and other concerns. The vet said it is just due to his aging. We were told to try fish oil, which we have been giving him daily. It has not seemed to help. I am going to get some oatmeal shampoo and give him a good bath.

Anything else I can try?

#2 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

What do you feed your fur baby? Many dogs are allergic to wheat...

#3 labluver94

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Walking, birding (very novice!), reading, and spending time with my furkids and human kids!

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

He is on a prescription diet from the vet and has been since March (for UTI/bladder stones). The skin thing started 2 weeks ago.

#4 black_knight

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

Is it a possible allergic reaction to fleas. I know Jed had a infestation of flea bites, which caused him to have very flaky skin and and also a great loss of fur. He had a lot of bald spots so I bought some powder brewers yeast at a health food store, added a small amount in his food and within a few weeks the scratching, itchy episodes stopped, the flaky skin disappeared and within a few weeks later after that, his fur thickened in the bald areas. I was really relieved to see that.
Eileen & Jed

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. Itís the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#5 labluver94

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

I will check him tonight, but we use Frontline very regularly.

#6 labluver94

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

I checked....no fleas.

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (labluver94 @ Jul 22 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I checked....no fleas.

In our area the fleas are unrelenting year round. We use Frontline with excellent results. In fact we find that we need only apply it once every 6 months to our dogs.

#8 Blaze's Mom

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

I use fish oil liquid in the winter for Blaze's dry, itchy skin. It gets squirted right on top of his food and I mix it around. If you have only been using it for 2 weeks, it might not be long enough to see results. Also, the doseage on the bottle was something outrageous. I never give him the full dose which is, I think, 2 tablespoons per 20lbs of body weight. He's an 80lb lab and it was just way too much. All I do is squirt it all around. That's it. My opinion, I would give it a longer chance to work.

#9 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (labluver94 @ Jul 22 2008, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He is on a prescription diet from the vet and has been since March (for UTI/bladder stones). The skin thing started 2 weeks ago.

science diet is awful stuff, corn, wheat and soy is what most dogs area allgeric to and I bet science diet is all that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users