3 replies to this topic

#1 ca99uk

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hi,

And sorry if I am going over old topics here, but Rocky (my lab) is my first. He is losing a lot of hair the whole house is covered with his fur, everytime I stroke him or he comes in contact with anyone he loses hair. We brush him twice a day and still his hair comes out.

He doesnt look unhealthy and he has a full coat of hair (how I dont know). I have owned many dogs but never a lab and just wondered if this is normal? My neighbours have a lab and they dont seem to suffer from having the excessive shedding.

Any ideas or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks smile.gif

#2 black_knight

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:31 AM

Well first welcome to this site! Secondly,it may be possible that Rocky may be going through what they refer to as "Blow" which is when a dog goes through a period of shedding large amounts of fur.
With owning a lab you can expect this 2X a year. You say that you are brushing him daily, which is great, because that alone reduces alot of extra fur loss found either in your home or else where. Also is Rocky a pet that is indoors alot majority of the time, because with my lab, whose in the house alot sheds a great deal year round. I am forever cleaning piles of fur throughout the house, mainly downstairs in the basement where he spends a fair amount of time. Also diet sometimes plays a part in fur loss or stress. These are things to look at it also. Another thing you may have to consider is where you live. If you live in a part of the country where the weather is quite warm, your pet will likely shed more, due to temperature changes. We also found taking Jed swimming helps with the shedding. Also what type of grooming tools are you using, here is a link you may want to check out for the best possible items. http://www.woodhaven...m/grooming.html. Good luck!
Eileen & Jed

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. Itís the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#3 ca99uk

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:41 AM

Hi,

Yes Rocky is in the house for the majority of time. I just finished hoovering up two dyson's worth of hair from the front room, I do this everyday and dont know how he isnt bald. We tried using the furminator, although it got a lot of fur out it was very hard to get an even coat with it, so now we are just using brushes to brush the hair out. Since we had Rocky he has always shed a lot of fur, but we didnt know if this was a growing thing or if its just how he will be... seems like I am going to be getting lots of hoover time in over the next few years biggrin.gif

#4 sweetiesmom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

When my lab Sweetie started shedding for the first time we took her to the vet we were so worried about how much hair there was everywhere! She looked like she lost 15 pounds so I thought she had some serious illness. Come to find out, she's a Chesapeake mix. She's got longer hair, a wave down her back and a tail that frays like a retrievers tail. She's 2 now and even her groomer counts the hair loss in number of Chihuahua's it would cover.

The best thing you can do is brush often, bath often and buy hand vacs for every room smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users