• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Flint Batten

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hello im new to this site and any information would be helpful. Yesterday i purchased a black lab pup his name is Shooter, he is 6 weeks old and im very excited to have him. This is the 2nd lab i have owned, i had a chocolate lab and he passed away about 2 years ago he was 11 years old and he was THE best dog i ever had. I decided to get another one and i decided to get a black lab this time. When i purchased Shooter the lady i got him from said he was full blooded and she had the akc registration papers for him. His parents are registered and they were there with him. His father is yellow and his mother is black, his litter mates were black and chocolate. But Shooter has a little white patch on his chest and little white hairs on the tips of his back paws as so did some of his litter mates. Other than that he is solid black. I have heard that this is ok but im still a little concerned. All his other features show he is a lab. Does anyone think that Shooter isnt full blooded ? The chocolate lab i had had no white markings at all. Shooters parents had no white markings. I guess as long as he likes to retrieve, play, swim and has the same temperment as other labs it doesnt really matter. Im still going to keep him no matter what but i thought i would get some other opinions.

#2 ian

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:I'm a staff nurse. I assist in the training and re homing of dogs.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:57 AM

white makings on chest and feet are permitted due to the kennel clubs around the world. The very first labs to arrive in England had white makings on their feet and chest.

http://en.wikipedia....rador_Retriever

^^check out the history bit on the page.
If it looks like it works and it feels like it works
Then it works

Mans best friend

#3 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hello and welcome to the site. I know you will enjoy it. Very friendly people here. A little white on his chest is acceptable. Both of my girls, although having no white on their bodies, have a little white in between their toes.
IPB Image

#4 Flint Batten

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (lindaa @ Jun 2 2008, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello and welcome to the site. I know you will enjoy it. Very friendly people here. A little white on his chest is acceptable. Both of my girls, although having no white on their bodies, have a little white in between their toes.

#5 Flint Batten

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (lindaa @ Jun 2 2008, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all the info, i also forgot to add that he has a little white under his chin, but he's got the otter tail, the webbed paws and every thing else says he's a lab, im really excited about him, i've never had a lab as a puppy so trying to train him will be something new. But so far he's getting along great. Any info that anyone has that they think might be useful for me would be greatly appreciated. My wife has a female boxer thats a week older than Shooter and they get along great. I just hope it doesnt hamper me trying to train Shooter.

#6 Boris

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (Flint Batten @ Jun 4 2008, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the info, i also forgot to add that he has a little white under his chin, but he's got the otter tail, the webbed paws and every thing else says he's a lab, im really excited about him, i've never had a lab as a puppy so trying to train him will be something new. But so far he's getting along great. Any info that anyone has that they think might be useful for me would be greatly appreciated. My wife has a female boxer thats a week older than Shooter and they get along great. I just hope it doesnt hamper me trying to train Shooter.

It is true that they are allowed white on the chest but with white on the feet and chin (not sure why poster above feels white on feet is allowed in the breed standard, it is not) I would say that he is most certainly is a cross breed. It is possible for a bitch to have a litter with pups that have more than one father! I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to breed or show (not that you would show with any white markings in any case). Why did you pick this pup if some others were pure black and the white bothers you?

#7 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

Let me clarify about the feet. The white in between their toes is on the underside, near the pad. This is definitely acceptable.
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users