Photo

Elderly Lab, excessive panting, new habit. Bumps as well.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pair of ElderlyGents in MA

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hello there,

I found your group because I'm concerned about the eldest of our two black Labs, Ryco & Rudy.

Ryco (pronounced Reeko) is heading on for 14 years old now. He's in great shape and I take him for long walks around the neighbors cranberry bog regularly. biggrin.gif He has great energy, muscle tone, sheen to his coat, is always in good spirits, and is the best sandwich thief on the East Coast.
Once, about five years ago, Ryco jumped from the ground in through the half open window of a Ford F250 Truck, because a friend of my Husband made the mistake of leaving a half eaten sandwich in a bag on the floor. It was only about two hours since Ryco's breakfast at the time, so it wasn't like he was due for a meal. Last night I found him in the cloakroom of our house, ripping out the lining of my Husbands raincoat because there was a piece of dry wheat bagel zipped into the pocket. He's a very smart and resourceful dog. He has an obsession with food that is quite astounding at times. We feed him as much as we can without affecting his health, but it seems that he would eat himself to death if he was let.

About six months ago, he developed a pea size bump just below his front armpit. We were concerned, so my Husband took him into the vet for a check up. She ran a test on it, and within a few days let us know that it was nothing to worry about, just fatty tissue or something like that. She said it was very common in Labs and that he'd probably get more of them as time went on, and that they'd get bigger. Indeed she was right, he did get more, and they are getting bigger. They don't seem to bother him at all. smile.gif

But what bothers me, is that he has developed a serious heavy breathing habit. It's a constant thing, as he's walking around the house and at times that he would have never panted before. He can still turn it off when he's going to sleep and such, but for instance, right now, I'm sitting at the PC typing and he's lying on the couch in the next room, alone, and he's panting. -It is intermittent, but he's not excited right now, nor is he upset, he's just watching TV. I can't figure out the reason for the panting. huh.gif He's not thirsty. He hasn't been drinking any more than he's ever done. He doesn't appear to be in pain. He has recently developed a little trouble with the graceful leap onto the couch, but he still makes it whenever he wants.

Basically I'm worried that the lumps might be more than just fatty tissue, and that they're related to the cause of the panting. I'm going to get my Husband to bring him back to the Vet for another check up. But in the mean time, if anyone has any insight to the problem, I would appreciate learning from your experience.

Much obliged,
Squirrelgirrel

#2 Champs Mom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

We just lost our 12 1/2 year old black lab to either cancer or a lung fungus. His symptom was excessive panting, which eventually turned into coughing and on his last night, coughing up blood. Our regular vet had just run some $300 blood tests on him which showed us nothing other than a little infection (he had just had a urinary tract infection) and an underactive thyroid. The emergency vet, however, took $189 X-rays, which revealed the lung issue which was inhibiting his breathing. We ended up making the decision to end his pain. Next time, I will start with the X-rays and then run the blood work. His body, however had taken a beating from this over night. He developed a bloated stomach, swag back and dull coat. He couldn't climb the stairs without extreme effort. Just to make sure, I would have an X-ray. I didn't mean to scare you with this reply, I just wanted you to know what to look for. The emergency vet said the cancer is common with the lab. And in my research afterward, I found that blastomyces (fungus spores) are common in the Midwest. Good luck. I hope it is nothing to worry about.

#3 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

My Lab Tessa is 12 next month and has bumps all over her body. Even a plum size lump on her front right leg that is just fat and water (vet confirmed - draining is pointless as it will inevitabely return).
Tessa pants aswell.. not excessively as Ryco - great name! - but a fair bit that I sometimes worry about. She has had her fair share of illnesses, with a full hysterectomy in Jan 07 due to disease of the womb.
Tessa has slowed right down in the last 12 months and with her getting on in years, there'll be more tings to come I'm sure.

Anything you are unsure about is worth getting cheked out. Peace of mind out weighs the 's (or $$$'s in your case).

Let us know what the outcome is.

Carolyne

#4 Charles

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Carolyne @ Jun 14 2008, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

My Lab Tessa is 12 next month and has bumps all over her body. Even a plum size lump on her front right leg that is just fat and water (vet confirmed - draining is pointless as it will inevitabely return).
Tessa pants aswell.. not excessively as Ryco - great name! - but a fair bit that I sometimes worry about. She has had her fair share of illnesses, with a full hysterectomy in Jan 07 due to disease of the womb.
Tessa has slowed right down in the last 12 months and with her getting on in years, there'll be more tings to come I'm sure.

Anything you are unsure about is worth getting cheked out. Peace of mind out weighs the 's (or $$$'s in your case).

Let us know what the outcome is.

My 12 year old lab started heavy panting about 7 mths ago and I thought it was just old age catching up. I took her to the vet and he had some suspicions. After a barium swallow test which was negative, he suspected it was laryngeal paralysis. This is a rare disease but labs are listed as one of the several dogs that get it. The flaps - 2 of them, at the top of the larynyx open and close as they eat, drink and breathe. On my lab, one side stop functioning. On other dogs, both sides can stop which can result in respiratory distress requiring and immediate tracheatomy. In heat or heavy exercise, it can be fatal. My lab is getting operated on Tuesday, Nov 4 to have the non-functioning side "pinned back" to keep her airway open. If sucecessful, they return to a normal life and can walk without the heavy panting. Most time, they will not be allowed back in the pool becaue if they swallow too much water, they could drown because the wind pipe is open. The operation is going to cost between $1500 and $2000. You may have a hard time finding a surgeon to do it. Some vets who don't know much about this disease will wait and then eventually put the dog down. Look this disease up on google for more information. Good Luck and I hope it nothing serious.

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

Is your dog overweight? I have noticed that overweight dogs have a tendency to pant more than dogs that are not overweight.
Taking your dog to the vet for an evaluation is the right thing to do. There are many things that could be causing the problem.
Let us know what your vet says when you take him in.

#6 Sablegirl

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:University of North Carolina basketball, Appalachian State U. football, Books and travel

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:48 PM

Hi, my 11 year old lab had a cancerous tumor removed on December 1st. The vet said that she was able to get all the tumor but since it was cancerous, other tumors may appear. I asked for symptoms to look for and excessive panting was one of the top ones. The bump at the arm pit is near a lymph node. I would get him checked out soon. Good luck. Pam

QUOTE (Pair of ElderlyGents in MA @ May 14 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello there,

I found your group because I'm concerned about the eldest of our two black Labs, Ryco & Rudy.

Ryco (pronounced Reeko) is heading on for 14 years old now. He's in great shape and I take him for long walks around the neighbors cranberry bog regularly. biggrin.gif He has great energy, muscle tone, sheen to his coat, is always in good spirits, and is the best sandwich thief on the East Coast.
Once, about five years ago, Ryco jumped from the ground in through the half open window of a Ford F250 Truck, because a friend of my Husband made the mistake of leaving a half eaten sandwich in a bag on the floor. It was only about two hours since Ryco's breakfast at the time, so it wasn't like he was due for a meal. Last night I found him in the cloakroom of our house, ripping out the lining of my Husbands raincoat because there was a piece of dry wheat bagel zipped into the pocket. He's a very smart and resourceful dog. He has an obsession with food that is quite astounding at times. We feed him as much as we can without affecting his health, but it seems that he would eat himself to death if he was let.

About six months ago, he developed a pea size bump just below his front armpit. We were concerned, so my Husband took him into the vet for a check up. She ran a test on it, and within a few days let us know that it was nothing to worry about, just fatty tissue or something like that. She said it was very common in Labs and that he'd probably get more of them as time went on, and that they'd get bigger. Indeed she was right, he did get more, and they are getting bigger. They don't seem to bother him at all. smile.gif

But what bothers me, is that he has developed a serious heavy breathing habit. It's a constant thing, as he's walking around the house and at times that he would have never panted before. He can still turn it off when he's going to sleep and such, but for instance, right now, I'm sitting at the PC typing and he's lying on the couch in the next room, alone, and he's panting. -It is intermittent, but he's not excited right now, nor is he upset, he's just watching TV. I can't figure out the reason for the panting. huh.gif He's not thirsty. He hasn't been drinking any more than he's ever done. He doesn't appear to be in pain. He has recently developed a little trouble with the graceful leap onto the couch, but he still makes it whenever he wants.

Basically I'm worried that the lumps might be more than just fatty tissue, and that they're related to the cause of the panting. I'm going to get my Husband to bring him back to the Vet for another check up. But in the mean time, if anyone has any insight to the problem, I would appreciate learning from your experience.

Much obliged,
Squirrelgirrel

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

Our Yellow lab developed a few of these fatty tumor bumps on her side. We eventually had the vet remove them. It wasn't all that expensive and only required a stitch or two at each site. They never have come back, but I am sure in the future she'll get others. It seems that some dogs are just prone to getting these things, as your vet said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users