• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SawyersDad

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

Poor dog. The skin on Sawyer's elbows are all dry and crusty. They are patches about the size of a nickel. they don;t seem to be itchy and they don't bleed and he doesn't mind me touching them, but they look really gross. It looks to me to be the type of thing that happens if your dog lays on rough concrete floors alot of the time but Sawyer doesn't.

I can't imagine what is causing this. Do any of your labs have this? Is this something i should take him to the vet for?

#2 black_knight

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

Jed has developed a rough elbow as he has gotten older. Being only on the left side I guess this must be the side he uses majority of the time when rising up from lying down and I also noticed before lying down he sometimes will circle and drop on that same side. I too was a bit concerned when I discovered it, but our first lab had them too, I was just hoping he wouldn't. As long as it doesn't appear to be sore or develope a growth, I wouldn't worry about this.

Eileen & Jed

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. Itís the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#3 BarkingDogs

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:My dogs! Blogging about my dogs! Thrifting and Yard Sales! and Blogging about Thrifting and Yard Sales!

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:53 AM

They are callouses. Mostly you get them in older dogs. I put moisturizer on my older girl's elbows from time-to-time and when I brush her I give them a good scrub with the brush. They have gone from about the size of a quarter to the size of a dime over a couple of years.

Nothing to worry about ... its is normal.

#4 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

My Perry had a problem with his elbows. The story is in Lab Health back in March '08, its titled Perry on the mend.

Since then I've been putting "Utter Bag Balm" on his elbows. It's the stuff for cows. It's available lots of places. It makes the area smooth and really reduces the roughness. I use it as a hand cream when I need more than the regular stuff. A little on the sticky side but it works in and makes rough skin better. Never thought I'd be using the same cosmetic as my dog...

I was told the scaly elbows are from concrete, hard floors, etc. Perry is a pampered, loved, inside guy. Sleeps on the bed. Not much rough surface laying down for him but his elbows still patched over. The vet said it is common in older large dogs.

Perry's Mom

#5 SawyersDad

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:50 AM

Udder cream.. Ok i will try that. Sawyer's Mom has some good stuff from Mary Kay that might work too.

Good to hear that it isn't a sign of anything bad. Thanks for the replies!

#6 kailey

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:bella dog! walkin.flyball.biking.

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

im having the same problem,my bella isnt even a year old and shes got no hair on her elbows becuse since we have gotten her we have lived with hardwood floor,i dont know what to do......is there anything to do thatll help the hair grow back?? they dont seem to bother her its just sad cuz she so young

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users