8 replies to this topic

#1 max's mom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

Hello everyone!

I am new to black labrador and i am sure this question has been asked a million times. I just got my black labrador puppy a month ago. He is currently 3 months old. When i first got him he was two months old and six pounds. As of yesterday Max is 19 pounds. I currently have him on puppy chow and I don't think he likes it. I want to change his food since i am at the end of the puppy chow and i can gradually change his food. I am looking at a few options the once that have caught my attention are: Pro Plan for large breed puppies, Royal Canin for large breed puppies, Authority for large breed puppies, Max for large breed puppies. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

#2 Bandit

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

What was the breeder feeding him? Are you feeding him the same as the breeder or did you switch to something else right away? He's only 3mo. old, you should stick with the puppy food until he's no longer a puppy, 6-8 mo., then switch him gradually to adult food. Puppies stomaches don't like food changes and you'll likely have a dog with the runs if you switch brands.
Thunders Lightning Quick Bandit - D.O.B. 02/26/2008
Photo Gallery

#3 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (max's mom @ Apr 15 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello everyone!

I am new to black labrador and i am sure this question has been asked a million times. I just got my black labrador puppy a month ago. He is currently 3 months old. When i first got him he was two months old and six pounds. As of yesterday Max is 19 pounds. I currently have him on puppy chow and I don't think he likes it. I want to change his food since i am at the end of the puppy chow and i can gradually change his food. I am looking at a few options the once that have caught my attention are: Pro Plan for large breed puppies, Royal Canin for large breed puppies, Authority for large breed puppies, Max for large breed puppies. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

try blue it's great food it is carried at petsmart and petco

#4 f1dotcom

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

You could try Royal Canin Large maxi Junior or Royal Canin Lab Pup

#5 lovebuds

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

I have always fed my puppies Iams smart puppy, large breed.

They love it and they've all been healthy with good shiny coats.

I stuck with the Iams proActive health chunks when they outgrew the puppy food.

I've always recommended it to the people that bought Lyla's puppies

#6 Guinness

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hello everyone!! My girlfriend and I are soon to be very proud owners of a black lab. I found this site a couple of weeks ago and have found soooo much great information here, thanks everyone for posting your thoughts and experiences. The thing Ive been stressing over the most is his food.

After doing all kinds of reading and searching we decided to go with "Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lover's Soul, Large Breed."

A few people have posted a link here to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and that site gave it a 4 star rating after the company made a change a few years ago. I checked the ingredients and from what Ive read here it seems to be ok. Its definately not the cheapest out there but not the most expensive either. Im curious as to what other people here think of this brand?

Thanks from Guinness and his soon to be proud owners!!!

Attached Files

#7 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hello everyone!

blue buffallo for largebreed or wellness

#8 Darren1991

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi my 8 week old black lab is not eating as much as he should . I've been told he is under weight by the vet and trying to get him eat is not working he just has a little bit then not interested any more. How can I encourage him to eat

#9 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

First of all let me comment,,,,,

I would NOT use Blue Buffalo OR "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul". Why?

Diamond Pet Foods makes "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul", and has had more recalls on their foods for contaimination (salmonella) and other nasty ingredients sneaking into their food. I would not buy ANYTHING made
by Diamond Pet Foods.

Read this link. And the recalls just keep coming and coming...

As for Blue Buffalo it is a good basic food but they OD it with probiotics and vitamins at too high of levels. I had all of my dogs on it and even feeding them 1 cup twice per day they all put on massive amounts of weight. Even with a good exercise program they quickly gained weight. My vet said she has seen dogs come in with allergic reactions to it as well as organ failure due to the overdose of vitamins in this food.

Royal Canin is a good food to use. Remember most dog foods are now produced by conglomerates such as Proctor & Gamble (known for cleaning products) Del Monte Foods, etc. These companies only care about one thing, and that's profit. Look what happened back in 2007-8 with all the dogs being poisoned by ingredients shipped in from China and put into the dog food. And there has never been an all clear on this too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users