• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 krazed

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

well i recently got my puppy back after 3 months(she got scared of the fireworks and got out)shes around a year i think.everytime we let her in the yard if the gate is open she bolts out and dosent listen.this morning my sister chased her 2 full streets.can someone give me some advice.im going to start taking her for walks so hopefully that will do it.

#2 Sweendog & Kona_dog

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

i also have a slight problem of my dogs running over to the neighbor house and playing with the other dogs and then they can not find there way back to the house and i have to walk over to the neighbors house and get them. i have tried a lot of different approaches. telling them no, gentle squeezing their muzzle and saying "bad dog". It not a huge problem but it get annoying.

I wish i had a answer to all dog problems.... Sorry i can't help but i feel what you are going through.
best wishes and best of luck!

#3 krazed

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Sweendog & Kona_dog @ Mar 23 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i also have a slight problem of my dogs running over to the neighbor house and playing with the other dogs and then they can not find there way back to the house and i have to walk over to the neighbors house and get them. i have tried a lot of different approaches. telling them no, gentle squeezing their muzzle and saying "bad dog". It not a huge problem but it get annoying.

I wish i had a answer to all dog problems.... Sorry i can't help but i feel what you are going through.
best wishes and best of luck!

its just so scary because she got out and we just got her back and i really dont know what ide do if we lost her.

#4 mungojerrie

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

My dog gets out too. The last time she got out she was hit by a car. We don't have a full fence right now so when she goes outside it's short periods of time and on a chain, but the last time she got out she jerked her collar out of my hand and took off. But even before we moved here and we did have a fence, she still ALWAYS found a way out. Inside the house she's the most well-behaved dog you could imagine. When she gets outside, it's a whole different story. I'm eager to see any suggestions on this.

#5 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

I also have had this problem of Harley getting excited at the lake and taking off down the shore line away from me.

Our first instinct is to chase after them. Big mistake. (I forget sometimes and do it too)
When we chase after them then we are joining in the run and they just keep on a goin.
The best way (and I know this sounds nutty but it works) is to run the OTHER way. Calling them with a sing songy voice. If your lucky enough to have one of their favorite toys on you shake it around in the air. Sing out "come with me"....... or "THIS WAY.... THIS WAY"

I know it sounds crazy. Last time Harley did this I chased after her for a bit before I remembered what to do. The minute I turned my back and ran the other way, singing out to her, she turned around and followed me back.

I can't explain the psycology behind it right now. I urge you to get the book called "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell. She is one of the top animal behaviourists out there and her book is soooo awesome. It is a fun easy read and you will understand how your dog's mind works so much better after you read it. She explains it much better than I ever can.

While you're at it also read "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. Both those books together are my "dog" Bible.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#6 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

Please have your babies micro chipped and registered. It won't stop them from running away but should your puppa-dog go missing the chip will be invalueable in getting them home. I urge all owners to chip their babies. (And, NO it doesn't cause cancer at the insertion site. That is a foolish urban tale...) Chipping is the responsible owner thing to do.

#7 mungojerrie

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

I totally agree with microchipping. Sassie is microchipped, and it's not the getting lost that bothers me, because she always comes back, it's the getting hit by cars. Sometimes I feel I'll need a concrete fence to keep her in the yard.

#8 Casa Rosie

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Gardens, cats, dogs, being outside, cooking, knitting, building stuff.

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

What we do is to turn our backs and walk the other way, or keep walking wherever we're headed, and yell "bye bye Rosie!" Usually she bolts back to our sides. Once in a while she does take off though. I have found that walking her in a secluded, safe area (in the woods on a trail away from any roads) is a good way to practice this, and to see what she'll do. Most of the time she'll stay close but other, more tempting factors (other dogs, birds/small critters to chase, something to eat) sometimes get the better of her. She's getting much better at sticking close.

#9 kimzim13

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

we are having this problem with our 8 mo. old lab. we have a bush in the corner of the fence and almost every time we let him out he runs and jumps into the bush and over the fence he goes. He will not listen at all when he gets out, and has almost been hit by cars twice now. It scares me because even if he is microchiped we live in a rural area that a lot of people don't take very good care of their pets (leave dogs in the yard all the time and don't take them to vets) and I'm afraid he will be stolen and we would never find him. I will try the running the other way thing I sure hope it works with my Frisco. I'm also going to check out those books

#10 eysenbachts

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

Some dogs are just predisposed to bolt when given the chance. My Mollie has been through obedience training and is a well trained lab by most accounts, but sometimes she becomes so exciting about something or someone that she will not listen and takes off.

That being said, I've noticed a marked decrease in that behavior when my dogs are adequately exercised. Also, perfecting your "recall" command is key. That way, if your dog bolts within earshot of your voice you might be able to recall.

You can expect your dog to wander if you do not have them contained properly. It is NOT your dogs fault that he/she likes to roam. That's kind of what dogs do best... or at least most of them.

#11 eysenbachts

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

A good way to practice your recall would be to attach a 30-40ft lead on your dog. Walk around with them and occasionally tell them to "come" and immediately pull them towards you. Do this until they start coming towards you without needing to pull. Usually this is a very quick process. Anyhow, see if you can't recreate a bolting action and give them the ol' recall mid-stride... see if there's any reaction. Either way, keep working on the recall and you'll have some success as opposed to no success.

#12 aaronc

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Can someone elaborate (or provide a link) to the "recall" idea. I'm having issues when I take my dog to the park, I like to take him off leash but sometimes he just takes off and will not listen no matter how much I try to get him back. I don't mind letting him run around the park but he can get a little hyper and I imagine people in the park trying to have a relaxing afternoon aren't excited by a 70 pound dog barreling towards them.

Hope you can help me out, thanks!

#13 Mvwarrior

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

well i recently got my puppy back after 3 months(she got scared of the fireworks and got out)shes around a year i think.everytime we let her in the yard if the gate is open she bolts out and dosent listen.this morning my sister chased her 2 full streets.can someone give me some advice.im going to start taking her for walks so hopefully that will do it.

You should whistle train your dog to come to you when you blow the whistle
start by blowing the whistle and then instantly giving a treat. Do this a couple times. Then take a few steps back and do it again. Eventually she will hear the whistle and come running back toher. TIP: you can slowly lean off of treats and just give praise after much work, don't do it too soon though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users