• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave&Sue

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hi, my name is Dave and I am about to adopt a Black Lab from a rescue center. I know that she wont have papers and that is ok... The only papers i need is that we have a new addition to our family.
My question is what to look for to figure out if she is full blood. I know she doesn't have any white on her. She has an undercoat, otter tail, webbed feet. Is there something else that i should look for to figure this out?

#2 black_knight

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

Hi Dave! Let me welcome you to this great site. You will find loads of info and the members are helpful with questions that you may have.

To answer your first, well I think you may have it all figured,being a purebred with your new furbaby having a undercoat, otter tail, and webbed feet. As long as her general health appearance goes having a glossy coat and bright eyes, has a good appetite, your newest member to your family, will be a good addition. Owning a lab is a wonderful pet as long as you give her the correct training and patience during the first trying years (at least 3-4 yrs), and lots of TLC, she will be a joy to own. And of course as she gets older they do require excercising daily. They are a high energy dog. This breed are bred to be alovable animal. I have always loved them. They show such a compassion to their owners.

So Dave when you bring home this darling pup, post some pics of her and let us know what you name her ok.

#3 Casa Rosie

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Gardens, cats, dogs, being outside, cooking, knitting, building stuff.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

Hi Dave! Congratulations!
The characteristics that you mentioned are good indicators...but don't necessarily mean that she's full blood. In fact, it's pretty hard to tell. My Rosie's half Golden Retriever and you can not see ANY Golden in her. She has an undercoat, webbed feet, otter tail, short, glossy hair, and no white spots on her. She looks 100% black lab but I know that she's a (great!) mix. Her mom is a beautiful Golden Retriever.
The only other characteristic I know to look for is that they eat everything smile.gif Rosie's taken to eating rocks. Don't know if Goldens do that...
Enjoy!

#4 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

Welcome to Blacklabrador.com and congrat's on adding a new family!! From the sound of it you are adopting a full breed Labrador to the family! One tell tale sign is the web feet and that there are no white markings anywhere!! I would look closer at the length of the hair and size of the head--Does she have skinny head or block head?? When you get a photo of her post it on the site and we'll be able to tell you more!! How old is she???

Congrats again!!
Blacklabrador.com
Admin

#5 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Oh yes, the web feet, the proper coat and oooooooooh that tail! They are all good signs of a lab.

Many full bred black labs are not fully all black though. So don't take a white splotch on the chest to mean
the dog for sure isn't full bred. They just might be full bred with a color flaw.
The breed description says "a white spot on the chest is acceptable in black labs, though not desirable."
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#6 Boris

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:50 AM

My dog Boris came from a rescue shelter. They described him as being a Lab cross. However except for his tail which he hold slightly curved forward he has all the characteristics of a pure bred lab. He also has a labs temperament and apatite. My second dog, Holly is a pure bread Lab with Kennel Club papers etc. Now she does have the perfect otter tail but to my eyes is not as nice a looking animal as Boris (she still is beautiful).

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:06 AM

In 2004 we acquired Kurt, our black lab from a local shelter. I noticed that his tail wasn't the thick otter tail of other labs, and while he has a thick coat, he doesn't have an undercoat. But the shelter insisted that he was a full blooded lab.

Sometimes Kurts tail will stand straight up, sometimes it makes a backwards question mark. Lots of the time it is straight out back.
For a lab dog, he hardly sheds at all. He immediately attached himself to our family. He has been the easiest to train. He has never ever chewed on anything that wasn't his. One strange thing, he won't even potty away from home. We can take him a lot of places during the day giving him opportunites to potty, but he holds it until we get home. Isn't that strange? We are so glad we got him. He is a truly "once in a lifetime" dog.

Can anyone figure out what he is?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users