• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zeus

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hiya, right now we just keep the bowl half-ful of puppy food (for large dogs) at all times with Zeus but I was wondering if I should be controlling it a bit more (when to put it out and how much to put out).

Keep in mind he is only 8 weeks and still new to us and his surroundings. The breeders whom I got him from told me to just keep food in the bowl and he will eat throughout the day.

Thanks.

#2 mica

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:I am a photographer who shows labradors.. lol weird mixture I know

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

Hi, I'm not a fan of free feeding like that. I prefer to have structured feeding times for my pups, at eight weeks old mine would be on four feeds per day, the last one being a light supper of sardines
it is one of life's unchangable laws.. that all friendly dogs have dirty paws

#3 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

At 8 weeks, we fed both our girls 2 1/2 cup 4 times per day. At around 12 weeks, I decreased it to 2 1/2 cups 3 times a day. They are now 5 and 3 yrs old and they get 6 oz. in the morning, and 6 ounces mixed with a can of string beans at night. The vet suggested the beans because they fill them up but offer no additional calories. During the day they get about 3 homemade dog biscuits. You have to really watch them as far as putting on weight, that's why I never free fed them.
IPB Image

#4 Casa Rosie

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Gardens, cats, dogs, being outside, cooking, knitting, building stuff.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

Yeah I just got an 8-week old too, and so far feeding is my most successful thing! She eats 4 bowlfuls of food a day - morning, noon, after work, and around midnight - about 2/3 - 3/4 cup each. She eats everything enthusiastically for about 5 minutes, then I take the bowl away, and she's 100% ok with it. We also stick our hands in and around the bowl while she's eating, which she doesn't really seem to notice. Kind of necessary as she really flings the food around while eating.

My biggest concern is water: there's debate about whether or not she should have access to water all the time as that makes her pee her pen (like a playpen, with a crate inside)during the day and at night. That's not a problem for me really, though it mucks with the almost-perfect housetraining we had going on the weekend. My brother withholds water (pups from the same litter) and his is almost totally toilet trained. He gives him ice cubes if he wants a drink past 7 p.m. Is that advised? I know that I personally get thirsty in the middle of the night and it can drive me nuts...

#5 mica

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:45 AM

Rosie.. congrats on your new addition and wtg with getting into a routine straight away.
I never with hold water, specially seeing as I feed dry complete food, yes I poiur hot water on first, but in my opinion, it's not good to deprive a dog of water. as long as the pups have gone to pee after their last drink ( which they do) I'm happy, if they need to go pee overnight they would get restless and let me know, I would rather get up midway to let them out than with hold water. I never have housetraining issues.. and all my pups are settled in a good routine and are clean over night by the time they leave for their new homes.

#6 Casa Rosie

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Gardens, cats, dogs, being outside, cooking, knitting, building stuff.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (mica @ Feb 22 2008, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rosie.. congrats on your new addition and wtg with getting into a routine straight away.
I never with hold water, specially seeing as I feed dry complete food, yes I poiur hot water on first, but in my opinion, it's not good to deprive a dog of water. as long as the pups have gone to pee after their last drink ( which they do) I'm happy, if they need to go pee overnight they would get restless and let me know, I would rather get up midway to let them out than with hold water. I never have housetraining issues.. and all my pups are settled in a good routine and are clean over night by the time they leave for their new homes.

I feel the same way. And have started wetting her food as well. Rosie's been pretty good the last couple of nights as she's slept 5 - 6 hours and no pee spots on her newspapers. She REALLY has to go when she wakes up though!

Also I wonder if the food I was feeding had anything to do with it. The place where I got her had them on Purina Puppy Chow, which seemed to make her drink more. Since switching foods (she's now eating ProNature puppy large breed chicken formula) she hardly drinks anymore. Hence the peeing less. But now she seems fussy to eat a bit, and I wonder if 4x a day is excessive with this new food. perhaps I could downgrade her to 3x?

Sorry I think I hijacked this thread.

#7 mica

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:18 PM

Rosie,
yes it is fine to drop her meals down to three at her age, if you do try that, maybe give her a treat at bedtime, food or the change of food can affect the water intake, it could have been that the first food was swelling more in her tum, making her want to drink more.. then if you have only just started to add water to her food, that in itself would make her water intake drop.. nothing to worry about

#8 Zeus

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

I have a question about my boy..

He seems to love going #1 and #2 sometime between 11pm - 4am. Yesterday in that span he did poop 3 times and pee like 2 times.

That was insane. Am I feeding him too late, should I take the food away much earlier than 10pm so it lets him digest and then go poop before he sleeps?

He did go all his pee on the designated newspapers and 1 poop on the newspapers and then the other two were nearby but not on as he doesnt like going on already soiled place which is undersatndable of course. It wasn't totally bad as we have a large tarp in the room and we cleaned it up and removed the scent but we want to make him go washroom much earlier.

If anyone has tips, please let me know.

#9 Princess Jade's family

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (mica @ Feb 22 2008, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I am new to the forum... in fact I am new to lab puppyhood as my past lab was rescued post adolescent. I do have a question about kenneling... we never had to kennel Aurora (who ever had her before us did train her well - at least until they abandoned her). However, I think it is best that we kennel our new 8 week old puppy Jade while we are at work. It is still way too cold for her to be outside while I am at work (we live in Alaska). I will be gone for approximately 9 hours a day, but will be able to come home for lunch (very briefly). She will also only be in a kennel every other day as my husband is a fire fighter. I don't know how to kennel her. Do I give her a big space with a sleeping area, potty area and some water? She can hold herself for at least 6.5 hours (at least she did last night. Thanks. Karrie

#10 Bandit

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Wow, I'm really surprised at how much food some of you are feeding your new pup's! 8 weeks old and you're giving them 2.5 cups 3X a day? My new pup, now 11 weeks old is eating 2X a day a 1 cup each sitting and he's doing fine. I can't imagine feeding him 7.5 cups a day, he'd be over weight and obese in no time. We feed him in his kennel so that he gets used to being in it and makes it his place that he can go to for peace and quite, it's his safe place. The kennel should never be used as a bad place.

As for 'how to kennel a dog'? I like to have a large full size collapsible kennel and put a board in it to use to make it smaller and as the dog grows move the board back to make the area larger as the dog gets larger. When the pup is young it shouldn't have a large area to use because it would have plenty of space to go to the bathroom and still be able to lay down and sleep. Most dog's won't poop/peep where they lay/sleep so by making the area a little larger than their body and what they need to lay/sleep comfortably you teach them to 'hold it' until you let them outside to do their business.

My 11 week old is holding it from 8AM to 5PM M-F on a regular basis and the same goes for during the night, 10PM to 6AM.
Thunders Lightning Quick Bandit - D.O.B. 02/26/2008
Photo Gallery

#11 sj2therescue

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Sci Fi, Music

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hi!
So I am Blind and I have a VERY well trained service dog (a Leader Dog) named Sonar. He is 4 year old, a 70 lb Golden Retriever and we have been a team for almost three years now. On Friday, my husband and I will be adopting a 7 week old Black Lab puppy, who we are naming Basie (as in Count). I have feeding and training with Sonar down to an artform, but a puppy is a very different story...espeically since Leader Dog will be watching carefully to make sure that Sonar doesn't pick up any bad habits from the puppy.

My major concern right now is food. I am a ProPlan user, as are most service animal teams, so that is what the puppy will be on too (puppy proplan of course). I feed Sonar 2 biscuits at breakfast, 2 cups at lunch and dinner and another biscuit at bedtime. My thought was to do something similar with the puppy, but swap out the biscuits for dog food and possibly reduce the cup size to 1. Thoughts?

Also, any suggestions for keeping Sonar away from the puppy's food and toys? Sonar has a hard time with leaving food.

Thanks.

Attached Files

#12 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to Blacklabrador.com, we are happy to have you as a member.

I wouldn't feed your pup so much at 8 weeks. I would start him out at 1/2 cup three times per day until 12 weeks and then up it to 3/4 cup 3 times per day and at 16 weeks go to 1 cup twice per day.

When you mention biscuit do you mean dog biscuit or a human biscuit?

When feeding the dogs feed them on opposite sides of the room with their butts facing each other. That's the best way to prevent one from taking over another's dish. Now when they are both done eating they will go over and inspect each others bowl to make sure nobody has left anything behind. That's just normal dog behavior.

#13 PuppyMax

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Have you seen this $40 bag of high value food, grain free vs. $70 food?
http://www.pulsarpetfood.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users