• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 picklesnichols

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

My husband and I adopted a lab from the shelter last December and people are constantly asking me if he is pure bred. I was just wondering if anyone out there could take a glance at some of the pictures I uploaded of him and tell me what you think.
It doesn't matter either way, I was just thinking if he is mixed with something obvious I would like to know so I can be aware of the heath issues with that breed of dog. I prefer to be prepared and know what to watch out for.
According to our vet he is around 2 and 1/2. All black except a small patch of white hair under the top layer of fur on his tail. It is probably the size of a half dollar.

Thanks!!

#2 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Welcome to BL.com. Beautiful boy. I would say he is mostly black lab but he looks like there is some shepherd in his mix. Thank you for saving him.

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I would say black labrador is the dominant part of your dog. He does have a somewhat long and slender snout. Nevertheless, he is a good looking dog! And thanks for saving him too. He'll repay you with years, and years of fun!

#4 picklesnichols

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

Thanks!! I figured he had a good chunk of another breed in him, but we sure get the pure bred question A LOT. He's the best dog and we couldn't have asked for a better fit for our family.

#5 CandyJune

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

I'm going to get a puppy. The owner says that she is purebred lab. They sent me pictures but the puppy doesn't look purebred to me. Can someone help?

#6 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm going to get a puppy. The owner says that she is purebred lab. They sent me pictures but the puppy doesn't look purebred to me. Can someone help?

If she is pure bred labrador, there should be paperwork / pedigree. Also ask to see the pups' mother and father. I believe DNA testing is also available, although this is not cheap.
Is it important to you that she is pure breed labrador? If not, then no worries, as long as you love the dog and she is happy around you. Personally a dogs temperament is more important to me than pedigree.

Enjoy your new bundle of furry fun. Regards, Mike,Ashley & Summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users