Photo

How did you choose your canine friends' name??

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 labmomx5

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

Snickers came to us at 9 months with that name, as did Maggie. They were both chocolates. Chip, our chocolate boy was named after chocolate chip cookies. Yum! Taffy, our yellow, was named in duress. She was a Christmas gift to my daughter and the breeder wouldn't let her have us until after Christmas. We went out of town, gave the girls a picture as the gift and the breeder called the day after and wanted to know why we hadn't picked her up! They next informed us that if we didn't get her quickly they were keeping her! Well, we finished up our family duties and thought about names all the way home. We were at an impass with Snowball and Puffy, I think, when she thought of Taffy. She was a definite compromise. We lost that precious girl last May.

Darci, the black replacement pup, if you will, spawned even more debate! My daughter had seen a little black pup named Dakota on vacation the year before we lost Taffy. She said that when the time came she wanted a black named Dakota. We knew at the time that Taffy was sick although no one could diagnose the problem. The time came and we drove 3 hours to pick up our little black girl. She screamed and cried the entire drive back and at one point my daughter looked at me and said that if there was one thing she knew this pup was not a Dakota! So, for three days we thought and debated and no one came up with any unanimous ideas. I finally started searching the net and landed on a site that asked this same question. I read one reply out loud and the responder said that their pup was named after a famous Canadian hockey player. We are all hockey fans and like different players named Darcy. Well, that was it! The girls put the "i" on it because the pup was, after all, a girl!

Our new baby, who will be here Sunday is Murphy Brown Eyes. I thought of Murphy because the baby and the TV character were both spunky. My daughter added the brown eye spin because the baby's eyes are brown. I can't admit it because I have to play the mom role but I can't wait for the baby to get here!

#42 blackie505

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

when you ppicked yor dog out dident it seam like he or she looked at you funny?

#43 labmomx5

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (blackie505 @ Aug 6 2008, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#44 labmomx5

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

#45 labmomx5

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

She sure did. I think she thought we were crazy space people who scooped her up out of her happy home! She didn't really make a happy face until we took her to our cabin and then it was like she got out of the car, looked around, and said, "So this is why you people stole me from my mom!" It is still her favorite place to be.

#46 LilWiteKit

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:My &quot;kids&quot;, movies, TV on demand, reading a lot, road trips, and lots, lots more.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

Well, I've had my beautiful, fluffy white cat for 5 years. His name's Merlin. So, when we got our puppy, we were trying soooo hard to pick a dignified name for him, because we wanted it to go along with Merlin, but all anybody could come up with was Arthur, which I didn't like. He was just "Puppy". So for 2 weeks, while we tried to the point of giving ourselves headaches, Puppy stayed Puppy, or Pup. Well, he's got AKC papers, so we couldn't very well name him just Puppy. Anyways, a lady I work with came in and was like "Sir Gallahad! He was in the legend." (I didn't have internet at the time, so I couldn't look these things up), so we slept on it.

"Puppy" became Sir Gallahad Puppington, a nice, British sounding name I think. However, he is still Pup, or Puppington when he's in trouble lol.

#47 Parkie's dad...

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

I've had Parkie from when he was 3 years old. His original owner was a nurse who had him from a puppy.

They couldn't think of anything to call him, on the way home from his farm, he was shaking all the way... He was therefore named Parkinsons... It's a bit sick in a way but it's stuck and it's all I've known him as... Parkie for short.

(the full sunday name gets used when he walks back in the room hanging his head in shame, pre-empting a telling off for eating the cats dinner)

His kennel name though is Honest George. Very appropriate... ;o)

Attached Files

#48 Nemo

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

Nemo got his name from a Nightwish song, which, funnily enough, their former lead vocalist, Tarja Turunen, performed live in a concert she did here in Buenos Aires the night before I went to pick him up from his mom's house! I taped the whole song with my cell phone, and you can even hear me screaming out "Nemo, this one's for you!" at the beginning of the video, lol!! I couldn't believe my ears, because I never thought she'd sing that one in her concert, specially after how she parted ways with the band... they fired her in a very unfair way, if you ask me. So, when she started singing it, I was thrilled and took it as a sign, lol!!! laugh.gif

Greetings!

#49 MyBonnie

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

Can a newb play too?

My first lab (actually a mix) was Samantha Gale. I just liked the name. When she was in trouble, she knew the sequence. LOL
Sam.... SAM.... SaMANtha, Samantha Gale! Throw that 'middle name' in there and she kneeeew she better behave. Just like a kid. LOL!

My second was Sonnia's Belle Marie. We called her Belle. I miss that dog. She was stolen at 8 months old... to this day I hope I find her somehow.

I've waited almost 7 yrs because I just couldn't bear the thought of getting another Lab, especially black. I house sat for some people back in April, and they had a Black. I figured it was a test of my emotional stability. Sam was my best friend, I still occaisionally cry about her (I know, I know)

Now I have Marleigh Quinn, Mars for short. And before you ask, NO! I didn't name her after the book, in fact, I didn't even know there was a book until my vet said something about it on our 2nd set of shots! I just liked the name!
I picked Quinn because it sounded like Harley Quinn (the Joker's sidekick) But I'm not a real fan of Batman or anything, I just thought it was "clever" biggrin.gif
Laura & Marleigh aka "The Mouth"

#50 BarkingDogs

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:My dogs! Blogging about my dogs! Thrifting and Yard Sales! and Blogging about Thrifting and Yard Sales!

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

Here is a link to a posting on my blog on how I named my girl ... name that dog!

I chose the pup's name (he just turned three) just because I liked the name!

Stop by and say hi to Clover and Cosmo

TWO BARKING DOGS

#51 Manders

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

I named my guy Cooper. We have a auto parts theme going on in my home with another dog named Bumper, and for those of you that do not know: Cooper's are a brand of tires and it seemed to fit, considering he is black and is like rubber-he BOUNCES off everything, lol. biggrin.gif

#52 guinnesspuppy

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:47 AM

Guinness is my favorite type of beer, and also my heritage is irish the name also sounds prestigious, but it fits him perfectly. smile.gif

#53 lovemylab03

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

My girl is named Boo cause we got her on Halloween.

#54 twoblackdogs

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Retrieving, Obedience, Showing my Labs<br />

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:32 AM

We called our boy "Chesterfield" after the Lounge - after all Labradors are prone to lounging around.

Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs

#55 hilge

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

When we rescued our lab his name was James and I didn't like it. Thankfully he didn't have any name recognition since he had only been with the lady who brought him in 3 weeks. I named him Walter Payton and we call him Payton. I guess if you are not a football fan....Walter Payton is one of the greatest running backs to ever play the game. He died a few years ago from liver failure but is regarded as one of the nicest family oriented guys in professional sports.

#56 Samiii&Springfield

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:I love all animals. I enjoy paintballing. I love to go fishing. I somewhat like small game hunting. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my dog, Springfield. I couldnt live without music.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

My boyfriend came up with her name as Springfield XD45 after the pistol he had stolen from him. It fits her well because shes a pistol alright. shes my lover though.
[Samanthaaa&Springfield]<3

#57 SawyersDad

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:32 PM

When my dog was rescued, the rescuers kids gave him the name "Simba" because apparently he looked like a little lion cub. I didn;t see it. I guess you'd have to be 10...

Anyhow, my wife and I brought him home and it quickly became clear that "Simba" really didn't suit him. My wife is a fan of "Lost" and while i really don't watch much mainstream TV (I'd rather put a bullet in my head than watch Ugly Betty) i agreed that Sawyer was a great name for a Lab.

And through the years we've given him a number of nicknames that he responds to.. one of which is "Dammit!"

#58 Jadie

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (bonzo_n_booboo @ May 28 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Bonzo" is my new 2 and a half year old black lab. I rescued him from from the Patriot All Lab Rescue, through PetFinder.com (I am not affiliated in any way, this is no sales pitch). Bonzo's Dad is a drummer. John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham played drums for Dad's favorite band, Led Zeppelin.

As for my 15 and a half year old black lab. I rescued him as well at 3 and a half (Fully trained. Boy did I luck out there. I'd love to find the person that trained him and pay him money to do it again, but I digress). "Boo Boo" was his name (oh). So, for lack of a better name, I just left it at that.

#59 Jadie

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

Sooo, we have a beautiful half lab (black) half border collie, we call him Yoda, But his actual name is Darth Yoda. This name actually has many levels to to it.

First he was a valentines gift from my then fiance the year we moved in together. That was 2 years ago. We moved from Boston to Canada to be together due to his job. But we actually met online. Yes that weirds me out too. Neither of us was looking for anyone at the time. I was eternally done with the male species. But.... He was nice and we started talking alot in a channel dedicated to Starwars. Then we met at a starwars gathering in Scandinavia. My husband is Finnish. That is over 5 years ago now. So, when we got our first pet together (I always had pets lots and lots of pets, 2 cats, a maltese named Ms. P, my sister's dog till she dumped it. I was disgusted and since the 10 year old malty had been "in the family' for 10 years i wouldn't let her go to strangers and took her with us to canada, along with the 2 cats and the cockatoo.)

After we got to Canada i was desperately bored and miserable in this tiny backwater horror hole. It was a truck stop with more cars than people. Most of canada is very nice. But this area was a dump. And lacking in all good things. i was miserable. So, i started to volunteer at the humane society. There i met a bunch of what i called "little dudes" (lab border collies, Yoda's litter) And i fell in love with Yoda. And i would show my husband picturews of him every night and i would explain to my husband that his name was Calvin (at that time, horrid name....) And that he wanted to be names Darth Yoda. And that Darth Yoda didn't loike the humane society. He wanted to sleep in our bed and chase our cats and sleep on our sofa and go for loooong dog walks and he wanted to be loved. It took a month and a half and phone call to our slum lord, but, he got it oked, and Yoda came home. he has been our boy ever since. He has many nick names such as the dodos, the dumby, pedodas, pedodes, yodels, etc....

But we also called him Darth Yoda, because he was one of the cutue ones always up to something... Very good and very very bad. Plus he had an innate talent for jedi mind tricks on our cockatoo that likes to sit on my shoulder and give him dog biscuits when the dog does what the too tells him to. It is actually one of the most hysterical things to watch the bird training the dog. But, he is true to his evil naqture also. he cons my husband a PHD off the couch when he wants a seatr on it or wants more space on it;. He will deliberately convince the husband to feed him get him water or let him out when in relaity he just wants the husband to get up for just llong enough for him to take his seat. All sorts of random other sith lord behaviors too so ultimately the name fits.... and that is how Yoda got his name, aside from the final reasons, he is predominatly black with a tiny bit of white. (totally marked by the dark side with a little light side of the force too mixed in.) And he has the ears... The ears were a huge part of how i came up with his name too.

#60 Wanda

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

Our lab will be 3 years old next Tuesday, March 10th. My husband brought him home as a surprise. We were running late for my son's baseball game, so I was a little agitated with him. When I got in the jeep, I hear rustling in the back and asked what was that...lo' and behold it was a 13 week old black Labrador puppy. Suffice it to say, I was no longer agitated. He was adorable! I spent the whole baseball game walking him around and holding him in my lab. We had always talked about potential dog names but now that we had one I couldn't think of any. I am a huge Mariners fan and always wanted to name my dog Griffey but he was no longer a Mariner - Wilson and Gar were other options but I couldn't decide. My family seemed to veto all my ideas and had none of their own so left the decision up to me. The first night he followed me around everywhere. When I let him out he would never leave my side for long -- shadow seems to fit but I didn't want to any average name. I am half Filipino so I decided to name him Anino, which means shadow. To this day he is my shadow - Anino ko. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users