Warning against throwing sticks - causes throat injuries

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Munn

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Our black Labrador Lily, our horse Taffy, football or &quot;sarker&quot; if you are in the US :-), Internet / web technologies (I run a small web design company here in the UK with my eldest son).<br /><br />

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

A word of warning, really.

Lily and me were in the field behind our house - I was throwing her favourite stick and she was fetching it. It is big - about two metres long - and to get it to go any distance I needed to swing it way back then launch it forward.

In her excitement to get at it she ran toward it as it was mid-swing and it smacked her on the side of her jaw with real force. She ran off yelping so loud that people came to see what was going on. I eventually got her into the car and off to the vet we went.

After an examination I was relieved to hear that she just had bruising (how can you tell?) but her jaw was intact, if rather painful and swollen. Four pain killer tablets set me back 25, by the way.

Anyway, now to the real reason for this post. The vet told me she sees at least one dog a month with serious oral or throat injuries caused by chasing sticks that, when thrown, have stuck in the ground. The dog, in its excitement, runs full pelt onto the stick with its mouth open and spears itself.

This is something I had never considered before. But after a sturn lecture from the vet we now stick to balls, frizbees and the like.
Lily's Slave

fruitywebsites.co.uk

#2 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

OWW Hope Lily is feeling better. The bruises will probably hurt for a few days or a week or so..
Welcome to black labrador too.. looks like you joined today!

I hadn't thought much about the stick throwing.. like you mentioned.. it landing straight up in the air.. I haven't tossed sticks for my labs.. however. I try to keep the yard clear of them.. as Duke my younger labby will chew them to bits.. and my kids will play sword fights with them.. I always worry about someone getting one in the eye.. or worse.. (your gonna put an eye out..)
We have several huge oak trees surrounding our property.. they are constantly dropping sticks and leaves.
We had one come down this fall and it took out our neighbors truck..creamed it good.. had to be salvaged and everything. (the trees are his anyway) Then another one was so damaged from the storm it had to be cut down. We had a microburst .. trees fell down all over the area.. looked like I imagine a tornado would.. if it was just a f1 or so.. we now have lots of good burning wood tho.. smile.gif

We have lots and lots of rubber type toys and cloth bones.. we generally stick to tossing those and or a ball. My labs aren't fond of tennis balls.. I think they like the kong much better.. I think the reason Sadie fetches it.. is cause it has had food inside it.. and Duke will follow her to see what she is going to get.. make sure she doesn't get something better than he gets.. there is a bit of sibling rivalry going on still here.. they are still getting used to us and each other. And now.. I have gone waay off topic.. as usual..
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#3 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

I hope she is going to be ok. I also hope that this does not deture her from retrieving. May I suggest a retrieving dummy. They are soft durable and there is little chance for injury.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#4 Benjamin

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Brian Munn @ Dec 30 2006, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A word of warning, really.

Lily and me were in the field behind our house - I was throwing her favourite stick and she was fetching it. It is big - about two metres long - and to get it to go any distance I needed to swing it way back then launch it forward.

In her excitement to get at it she ran toward it as it was mid-swing and it smacked her on the side of her jaw with real force. She ran off yelping so loud that people came to see what was going on. I eventually got her into the car and off to the vet we went.

After an examination I was relieved to hear that she just had bruising (how can you tell?) but her jaw was intact, if rather painful and swollen. Four pain killer tablets set me back 25, by the way.

Anyway, now to the real reason for this post. The vet told me she sees at least one dog a month with serious oral or throat injuries caused by chasing sticks that, when thrown, have stuck in the ground. The dog, in its excitement, runs full pelt onto the stick with its mouth open and spears itself.

This is something I had never considered before. But after a sturn lecture from the vet we now stick to balls, frizbees and the like.

Thanks for sharing this information with the group, because I too am guilty of throwing a stick with my four Labs and they love to run around with the stick showing each other their King of the stick and hill. Something I know it no such a good thing!!!!! Your post will surely make me think a lot more before I start throwing sticks again!!!

Thanks!

Benjamin

This picture says a thousand words????

QUOTE (Benjamin @ Dec 30 2006, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for sharing this information with the group, because I too am guilty of throwing a stick with my four Labs and they love to run around with the stick showing each other their King of the stick and hill. Something I know it no such a good thing!!!!! Your post will surely make me think a lot more before I start throwing sticks again!!!

Thanks!

Benjamin

This picture says a thousand words????

Ps I hope your friend is feeling okay?? Give a hug from my 4 Labs!

Attached Files

[color=#000000][size=4]
[b]
Benjman
[size=7][color=#660000]

#5 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

Welcome to the site Brian. You'll find there's a few Brits on here.
My Lab Tessa has never been one for sticks, she prefers tennis balls. Saying that, she'll pop it in about 30 seconds!
We look forward to seeing pics of Lily!
Carolyne

#6 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

Pictures of Lily....that shows my age!!

Austin Powers....yeah baby...YEAH!!
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users