Health insurance for pets

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

I am curious if people here have bought pet health ins for their labby's. What is the cost. The best company. Have you ever made a claim? Did they come through for you? Or is it another huge waste of money?
I have some friends who have a yellow labx who was hbc (hit by car) in rural penn.. last year.. it was over $2000 to fix him up. They never found the person who hit the dog, so it wasn't like they could make a claim on the drivers insurance co.. or fine the driver.. Thanks
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#2 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

I am currently in the process of arranging insurance for Tessa. The only thing is that very few companies insure pets over a certain age and Tessa being 10, I've struggled to find a place that will cover her. I have however been quoted 327 (about $638).
I feel that it is well worth insuring your pet as you never know what may happen as in the case of the above.
Carolyne

#3 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (Heather @ Dec 17 2006, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am curious if people here have bought pet health ins for their labby's. What is the cost. The best company. Have you ever made a claim? Did they come through for you? Or is it another huge waste of money?
I have some friends who have a yellow labx who was hbc (hit by car) in rural penn.. last year.. it was over $2000 to fix him up. They never found the person who hit the dog, so it wasn't like they could make a claim on the drivers insurance co.. or fine the driver.. Thanks

Well worth thinking about, in my opinion. Cheaper for pups and the premium does go up every year. (I only pay about 10 - $20 a month for Phoebe, and there is a 50 - $100 excess for any claim, so most bills you need to pay anyway.)

But consider what would happen if, heaven forbid, Phoebe has an accident and breaks her leg; not an uncommon accident in a dog who spends so much time charging about. The bills to get her treated would run into the high hundreds of pounds. That's a lot of money to pay, and some people just haven't got the funds and are left with a heartbreaking decision.

With good insurance, the treatment would be provided straight away, and I would only need to pay 50 excess. Having very active dogs as we do, I wouldn't be without insurance, bacause accidents can and do happen. Also, dogs can become ill and have to have heart tablets, treatment for joint trouble etc. etc.

(Phoebe is insured online through directline insurance.)
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#4 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (IanWilkinson @ Dec 19 2006, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well worth thinking about, in my opinion. Cheaper for pups and the premium does go up every year. (I only pay about 10 - $20 a month for Phoebe, and there is a 50 - $100 excess for any claim, so most bills you need to pay anyway.)

But consider what would happen if, heaven forbid, Phoebe has an accident and breaks her leg; not an uncommon accident in a dog who spends so much time charging about. The bills to get her treated would run into the high hundreds of pounds. That's a lot of money to pay, and some people just haven't got the funds and are left with a heartbreaking decision.

With good insurance, the treatment would be provided straight away, and I would only need to pay 50 excess. Having very active dogs as we do, I wouldn't be without insurance, bacause accidents can and do happen. Also, dogs can become ill and have to have heart tablets, treatment for joint trouble etc. etc.

(Phoebe is insured online through directline insurance.)

I'm glad you replied to this. I considered the insurance, but didn't think that they pay for very much, i.e. office visits etc. I guess I didn't want to think of the practical side of this because who wants to think of accidents. I think that will be a good Christmas present for my girls. Merry Christmas to you Ian.
IPB Image

#5 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:42 PM

I signed Harley up for the "Puppy Wellness" program at Banfield (hospital in petsmart)
It was $99 for the year and then I think $10 a month on top of that.
It covered all her standard tests and shots and would have covered spay as well but
we didn't use that as she had been spayed at the shelter before I got her.

For this first year there is no charge for office visits and there is a 15% discount off
all non standard services. We have been to the vet often with various throwing up -
diarea - allergic skin reaction type conditions and the insurance has so far
saved me about $600. If we had needed the spay it would be even more.

I know the puppy insurance is the best deal but when this coverage runs out in Feb
I definately will be signing her up for the next stage of insurance with the same or
a different company. Will have to do some comparing around.

I have been dog sitting my daughter's boyfriend's pitt bull/bull mastiff mix for the last month.
That boy has done a real disservice to this dog. The poor guy got out of the fence shortly
before I moved there and came back limping. Now it has been about 6 weeks and he
isn't really putting weight on it still. I noticed last night that the thigh muscles on that leg
are about HALF the thickness of the other good leg. It is withering away and the boy
won't take him to the vet. I know he doesn't have the money. He makes up other excuses
"it makes him look tough"....."it doesn't really hurt or he would be crying"
I've talked and talked to the boy. I think I've just about shamed him into doing something
about it.

I told him dogs hide their pain. That I've seen Animal Cops take away dogs that are hurt
but their owners don't take them to the vet. Told him he is cheating this dog. That when he
took on this dog he took on the responsibility to take care of more than just feeding him.

Bottom line... if the dog had insurance... his leg would probably have been fixed already.
Now it's gone so long. I'm worried about the prognosis. I would take him in but I can't afford
to take care of more animals. I took on my dog and cat because that was what I could
afford. I can't save the world. But it is hard to look in that dog's eyes without feeling like
I should be doing something.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users