IS THIS HEALTH FOR THEM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KRISTY

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE TO HAVE FUN AND PLAY WITH MY PUPPY MISSY AS MUCH AS I CAN.

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

[b]MY 9 MONTH OLD BLACK LAB LOVES TO CHEW ON STICKS AND WHEN SHE DOES CHEW ON THEM SHE EATS THE STICK WHILE SHE IS CHEWING ON THE STICK. IS THIS BAD FOR HER OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT IS COMMON FOR THEM TO DO. SHE ALSO LOVES TO FIND TRASH AROUND THE YARD AND PICKS IT UP AND CHEWS ON IT. LIKE ONE DAY SHE FOUND A NAPKIN AND SHE SWALLOWED IT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH HER. WE TELL HER NO AND WE WILL POP HER BUT SHE DON'T GET IT. I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THIS IS NOT GOING TO HURT HER IN THE LONG RUN OR ANYTHING. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY COMMENTS OR THOUGHTS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW B/C IT REALLY SCARED ME SOMETIMES. THANKS!!!! unsure.gif
IPB Image

#2 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:30 PM

Most of the time chewing comes from boredom or teething (remember that a dogs adult teeth are not completely set till about a year and a half). Sometimes it is a lack in their diet. Sometimes the dog just chews to chew. Just make sure that the dog is getting enough exercise, and Eating decent feed.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#3 carpslab

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

My vet said, no sticks, bark, rawhide. Bad for their digestive system. YOu can keep the pup on a long leash(I use 15ft) while outside so you have control of them. When she goes for the trash, bark, stick you can give a light tug on the leash and say "leave it". Repeat as necessary. YOu can even practice with items in the house. It's also an opportunity to practice come.

I'd also invest in a clicker and start clicker training. It is easy and aids in teaching new behaviors.

#4 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:43 AM

My Maggie (age 2) is a stick chewer. I watch her closely and I notice that she doesn't swallow the bark just chews it and sort of "spits" it out. She enjoys breaking the stick and I see no harm in it. Her stools never show any indication that she has swallowed any of it. I never leave her unsupervised though. Just afraid sometimes when she gets to running fast with a stick that she might run into something with it and get hurt.
IPB Image

#5 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

Rileys is also a stick chewer. He isn't much on eatting it, he normally just chews it into pieces and spits it out. It is like a toy to him, we can go outside without him looking for a stick to play with. He even carries them when we go for a walk. The one thing we do is never leave him unsupervised with sticks. It is like having a toddler all over again. Have to watch him like a hawk.
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#6 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:34 PM

Harley LOVES to chew up sticks. I do have to watch her to make sure she doesn't swallow any. She mostly spits it out.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users