• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robynslab

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:36 AM

I have a 5 month old Black Lab, I can't get his coat to get soft no matter what i try to do. He seems to love his back being petted, and it is always warm to the touch on his back, Does anyone have a sugg. on how i can soften his fur. :unsure:Please e-mail me at Purringkitty29@aol.com with any helpful hints. Thanks

#2 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (robynslab @ Nov 21 2006, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 5 month old Black Lab, I can't get his coat to get soft no matter what i try to do. He seems to love his back being petted, and it is always warm to the touch on his back, Does anyone have a sugg. on how i can soften his fur. :unsure:Please e-mail me at Purringkitty29@aol.com with any helpful hints. Thanks

typically a labrador retrievers coat is supposed to be wiry and coarse. In fact some show dogs are disqualified if their coat is smooth and soft to the touch. A dog that hunts often develops and even more wiry coat. Its normal.
IPB Image

#3 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (robynslab @ Nov 21 2006, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 5 month old Black Lab, I can't get his coat to get soft no matter what i try to do. He seems to love his back being petted, and it is always warm to the touch on his back, Does anyone have a sugg. on how i can soften his fur. :unsure:Please e-mail me with any helpful hints. Thanks

His coat is supposed to be wiry along his back.

The soft puppy fur is replaced by a coarser, sometimes wavy outer coat. You can't get it to go soft, and shouldn't try. Use of shampoos and detergents (if you've been using them) can break down the natural oils present and could affect how he is insulated from wet and cold.
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#4 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

My folks have a Lab that has gorgeous fur but it is very short threrfore completely straight all the way down. Looks nice though.
Carolyne

#5 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

As other people have already said most lab coats are course. I really do not have anything to add but this. Please take your email off your post. Everyone I have met here are nice honest people but we do get guests and new people all the time. You will probaly get a large dump of junk mail.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#6 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (violent_storm2000 @ Dec 7 2006, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please take your email off your post. Everyone I have met here are nice honest people but we do get guests and new people all the time. You will probaly get a large dump of junk mail.

Wise words my friend.
Carolyne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users