Are my dogs ok outside???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:My family, Photography, My Dogs, reading, music, shopping, movies, decorating my home,there are many more-just drawing a blank today!

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:08 AM

I gave up on trying to make a sig. so I am going to ask a question that i was wondering about. Benson has a nice warm dog house....but now that Sundance is here and we put them both in the kennel outside together at night i have only one dog house so I put the pet porter i have out in the kennel, layed a thick blanket on the floor of it and the a thick blanket over the air slits on the side.......is that warm enough for one of the dogs? Last i checked Sundance had stolen Benson's house....lol......that is fine...Benson has more meat on him so is better able to keep himself warm in the pet porter. We had Sundance in the porter inside the garage last nite but Benson thought we had him inside and seemed to be jealous and barked all night, so we thought we'd try him in the kennel. I would love imput.....i am worried that they will be cold and hubby won't let them in for the night. Thanks for listening.

Ps: Where can i get a cheap dog house that is warm enough? I am not sure if Sundance will stay forever as we've only had him for one day so don't really wanna spend a fortune on a dog hose for him. I can let him in the garage cause he doesn't get in to things but worried that he'll use the bathroom all over.

#2 Carey

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:My family, Photography, My Dogs, reading, music, shopping, movies, decorating my home,there are many more-just drawing a blank today!

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

B)-->
QUOTE(jeremy b @ Nov 10 2006, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

about the sig if you mean signature for your posts just click "my controls" it's on all your pages as you browse the forum and click the link as shown in this picture i made for yuh..
[attachment=25:attachment]

about the dogs being ok outside;
i got my dogs a dogloo it's the bigest one they had and was like 80 bucks. now that i have two if they outgrow it i'll get hte bigger one for a hundred something at petsmart..anyway i calked the edges because water was leaking and also stapled a rubber welcome matt to keep the wind out right over the opening. they stick together but if the temp gets below freezing they will come inside.. it's pooring rain out now but i already know the rubber matt keeps the wind out and the water doesnt get through enough for me to worry. there was a little dampness right at the edge but they were two dry little pupps. make sure it's sealed and try to put a door for them because the houses are not well equipped for cold wind...

i got mine at walmart. but as for warmth the dogs have thick coats so they are protected but what gets them is the cold wind.. well and below freezing or close to weather.
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply, we have tarps hanging on two sides of the kennel, although the wind always seems to blow from the sides that are not covered.....that is what I am going to do today........hang some more so all the sides are covered and no wind can get in except for the door......and the top.....i hope they stay warm. I bring them inside when hubby is gone........but he is home on the weekends........otherwise i'll bring them in my newly cleaned garage to let the warm up a bit.

B)-->
QUOTE(jeremy b @ Nov 10 2006, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

about the sig if you mean signature for your posts just click "my controls" it's on all your pages as you browse the forum and click the link as shown in this picture i made for yuh..
[attachment=25:attachment]

about the dogs being ok outside;
i got my dogs a dogloo it's the bigest one they had and was like 80 bucks. now that i have two if they outgrow it i'll get hte bigger one for a hundred something at petsmart..anyway i calked the edges because water was leaking and also stapled a rubber welcome matt to keep the wind out right over the opening. they stick together but if the temp gets below freezing they will come inside.. it's pooring rain out now but i already know the rubber matt keeps the wind out and the water doesnt get through enough for me to worry. there was a little dampness right at the edge but they were two dry little pupps. make sure it's sealed and try to put a door for them because the houses are not well equipped for cold wind...

i got mine at walmart. but as for warmth the dogs have thick coats so they are protected but what gets them is the cold wind.. well and below freezing or close to weather.
[/quote]

Maybe my husband can just build a house for him.....he isn;t that big so it doesnt need to be huge.......well see......and i tried and karen even tried to help me with the glitter sigs and I just can't get it. A normal one is just fine for me.
IPB Image

#3 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

Tessa lived in a purpose built kennel until she was 6. It was a 'run' about 2 meters square and the a wooden 'house' built on. However, instead of sleeping inside the house, she'd sleep ON TOP of it.. just to keep watch. Dogs have a great ability to adjust to new surroundings so I'd have no quarms about having them outside.
Don't mention that to Tessa though as she's living a life of luxury inside our house now! biggrin.gif
Carolyne

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users