Bathing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trust

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:My dogs of course, and pretty much any other animal in the world.

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

Attached File  1st_bath.bmp   56.3K   37 downloadsOk so I know that your not supposed to bathe your lab too much, but I am wondering how young is too young to give your lab his or her first bath?? huh.gif Tribal really was smelling like urine form being with such a big litter (I think) so I put him in the tub last night. First he just drank the water, then he soaked up the attention and rubbing that he got. When I was done I dried him off then wrapped him in another dry towel and cuddled him for a while till he fell fast asleep.
Perfect I am not, nor will I ever be.
I don't know why people like me, I'm just being me.

#2 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

A bath once in a while is not a bad idea. But remember that pups younger than 15 or 16 weeks (I think) have a hard time regulating their body temps. So make sure that the water is not too cold and not too hot.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#3 Trust

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:My dogs of course, and pretty much any other animal in the world.

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (violent_storm2000 @ Nov 30 2006, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bath once in a while is not a bad idea. But remember that pups younger than 15 or 16 weeks (I think) have a hard time regulating their body temps. So make sure that the water is not too cold and not too hot.

I made it luke warm, it would have been too cold for me too bath in but he seemed to do fine. He only shivered when I took him out of the water so that is why after I dried him off I wrapped him in a dry towel and cuddled him was to make him warm.
Perfect I am not, nor will I ever be.
I don't know why people like me, I'm just being me.

#4 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

Ok he should be good then. Some people seem to think because they are water dogs they can take a bath in room temp water at a young age.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#5 daly_pr

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, my puppy Lady Lolah and search in the internet.

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

Bathing your puppy

The frequency of baths will vary according to the coat texture. Shaved coats only need to be washed when they are dirty. Short-haired puppies need to be bathed twice a year on average and long-haired puppies need to be bathed approximately every three months.

A rubber mat will prevent uncontrolled slipping, which could cause injury or permanently frighten the puppy.

Lukewarm water should be used, along with a special shampoo for puppies. Human products are too acidic and irritate the skin. Before bathing the puppy, brush out the coat to remove any tangles. Wet the puppy's entire body. Lather up the shampoo, being careful not to get any in the ears or eyes. Allow the shampoo to work for a few minutes and then rinse thoroughly. (It is best to rinse the head last or the puppy may wanto to shake).

Wipe your puppy down vigorously and leave him in a warm room. In the summer the puppy can be let outside or taken for a walk, as long as he does not have a tendency to roll around. If your puppy will tolerate it, a hair dryer may be useful. Be careful not to burn him and be sure to brush him out while drying.

This information is from Royal Canine Puppy Guide. Hope it help you!
IPB Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users