Sad News About Phoebe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

Phoebe Favourites

Hello All,

Longer term friends/members may remember me, and if anyone else has browsed the photos on here, you have probably come across a few shots of Phoebe.

I'm so sad to say that she passed away last Wednesday. She didn't suffer at all, and enjoyed a happy and active life up to her last day. I lay with her until the very end and got to say all the things to her that I wanted to say.

She was a very special friend and companion for me. Even more than a family member, she felt more like part of me - we shared so much. Eleven unforgettable years.
I've buried her in a little sheltered glade where few people pass, under a small tree. It's just off the track where she used to chase bunnies every day. (She never caught one, and I don't think that she ever really tried.)
I'm still walking our walk daily, and I'm placing a stone on her resting place each time I pass.

I know that she has some very good friends on and over the Rainbow Bridge.

...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

Ian:

I am so sorry to hear this news. Please accept our deepest Sympathies. How old was Phoebe?

It's nice to hear from you again, even under such difficult circumstances.

Kurt

#3 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Ian,

I am deeply sorry for your loss. My heart is  totally crushed to hear of Phoebe! As you already know there are no words anyone can say to lighten the heart. I want to thanks you and Phoebe for all the  wonderful pictures you posted on Blacklab. Truly they are hands down the best.

Very deeply sorry,

In God we Trust

Ron Colangelo

Blacklabrador.com
Admin

#4 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks, Kurt and Ron.

It's very heartening to know that there is always a warm welcome here, no matter how long it's been since our last visit.

Phoebe was eleven years old in September. We've had her since early November 2003, so she's been with us almost exactly 11 years.
I've been retired since February 2011, so she's been my constant companion since then. Part of my daily life - always there.

Having said that, because we've been through this before, I've known that at eleven years old, that there are any one of a number of things that could have happened to Phoebe, all resulting in the farewell I've had to make. Realistically, it could have dragged out for weeks or even days, involved pain and suffering, or could have called on me to make that decision we all dread - no matter how much we know it's the right one - to put her to sleep. She went in her own home, she wasn't alone, and it was quite quick and I'm sure she didn't suffer a lot. She just drifted away, and there are many worse ways to go.

I've just returned from 'our' walk, and placed another stone on her resting place. As I said, it is a very secluded spot. So I was a little surprised to notice that someone has placed a pink sponge doggie ball, with a black paw design on it, next to the flat stone I've painted as her headstone. Surprised, but touched too. :)

...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#5 tbvaden

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

I haven't been on here for quite a while so I just saw your post. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. The photos you posted of Pheobe are beautiful and tell the story of your love for each other.

— Terri

Terri

#6 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Terri.
I'll never stop missing her, but (because I can't be without a dog) we do now have another little adventurer in our lives - Meg.
There's one photo in the gallery already, and I'll be posting more as she grows. :)

...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users