• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 awwphooey

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

Hi everyone- just a curiosity. I have a 3 year old male lab, my son says he's an English house lab. I live near the Sacramento river, and take him there often to throw sticks and give him some swimming time. I've noticed something the last month or so- he suddenly has lost interest in jumping in and fetching. It used to be, he could barely contain himself. I'd grab a stick and as soon as I raised my arm to throw, he'd tear off and plunge in. Now all of a sudden, he kinda' walks in, looks and walks back out.

It's not like he suddenly afraid of water, he still walks in and swims a little- but just has no interest in plunging and retreiving. He acts like he's going to jump in like before, but he runs up to the water and walks back like he's waiting for me to throw another. It's strange. He didn't have a bad experience of any sort or an injury. Not sure what's up, thought I'd get some experts opinions.  :)

Thanks in advance,

Phoo

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

Is there a current in the river? Maybe the current is too strong for him and he doesn't want to get swept away.

How deep is the river at this point? Some labs don't like the feeling of their feet off the ground while swimming. Our chocolate lab Sammy is like that.

He'll lay down on the steps inside out swimming pool but won't go in any deeper, while our black lab Buddy still dock dives off the edges!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users