• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blackcasper

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

On 10.1.2014, my wife and I had to say goodbye to our 6 11/12 baby, Casper. He was okay right up to Christmas, we enjoyed regular walks, and Cas., seemed his usual self. Then I noticed that when we were out, he would stop for no reason, and it took some encouragement to get him back home. I took him to an emergency Vet on Boxing day, who examined Cas., and he could not identify any problem, so he gave him a pain shot, and told me to take Cas to our own Vet the following day; this I promptly did, where they did the same physical examination with the same results as before. They took blood samples however, and the results, when they came back indicated, low potassium, low thyroid function and low cholesterol, of these, the former concerned my Vet the most, as he felt Cas., may have had either Addinsons Disease or Pancreatitis. To rule out the former, Cas was given a ACTH probe to see if his blood levels of steroids responded; subsequent results ruled out both Addinsons Disease and Pancreatitis. They took x-rays to see if they could identify anything that way, nothing showed; they even showed me Caspers x-rays and talked me through them- nothing abnormal was indicated. The Vet said the only other thing he could do was to administer an electromyogram, to see if there were any spinal issues indicated. They identified a "blockage" at T5, which they said would need further investigations which they were not equipped to do, so they referred me to a place called "Fitzpatrick Referrals" in Godalming in Surrey U.K. (I live in Kent). Meanwhile, I took Casper home and they gave me Tramadol 50mg. to give twice daily. (Casper hated this so we had to mix it up with jam, so my wife placed it on Cas's tongue, whilst I held his mouth open! (By this time Casper was in evident pain, it hurt him to stand up and it was difficult for him to sit and lie down!-- at one point Cas was in such acute distress, I had to call the emergency Vet at 11.00p.m. desparate for advice!-- I was advised to just to double up on the Tramadol as Cas weighed 37.5 kg. so his body weight facilitated this! So we took Casper to Surrey, and the Vet advised that he would need to administer an MRI on Casper, so he advised my friend, who had driven Casper and me as I do not drive, to go home and return the following day. At this point, the most likely diagnosis was a slipped disc, or so I thought! The next day 9.1.14, I will never forget for the rest of my life, the Vet called us to say that "it was not good news!", I went into a total tail spin, and had to give the telephone to my wife, who was relatively more composed than I! It turned out that my little boy, who we had as a puppy from 3/12 age, had an inoperable and aggressive tumour on his spine, AND THAT AT MOST, CASPER ONLY HAD ABOUT TWO WEEKS TO LIVE! They were controlling Casper's pain, and my friend could only take me to see Casper the following day,but my wife and I discussed what to do next, and we decided (and it was an exceedingly painful decision), that it would be both cruel and wicked to maintain Casper's suffering for another 24 hours, just to wait until I could be with him, so we asked the Vet to assist Casper in his egress from this world ( I so wanted to be with my little boy, we have been soul mates for the past almost 7 years, in fact he would have been 7 on February 10th. of this year, and my wife rightfully said that that we had to think about Casper and not my own selfish thoughts!) At 3.00p.m.on 10.1.14 the Vet called us to say that my Casper's exit from this vale of tears was quick and painless and three of the girls that worked at the centre, were with Casper for his final moments. I am sorry to ramble on for so long, I just thought that by writing about my Casper, on a forum visited by people who care for labradors as much as I (I, like everybody here care for all dogs), might prove therapeutic; this a heartbroken mom and dad signing off.... God bless you all; for you are truly the salt of the earth!!

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

We are so sorry to hear about this, you have our deepest sympathies.

Our black lab Kurt died in 2008 under very similar circumstances. We had Texas A&M analyze his food and they found Melamine in the food which killed this thyroid and brought on the cancer. Our other Lab/Golden mix Brandy survived only because she only was fed 2 cups of the food per day where Kurt was served 4 cups of the food per day. This was our thank you for feeding an advertised name brand premium dog food.

Brandy lost her thyroid and also came down with cancer. But we caught it as soon as it came about and she is now 15 years old and still with us.

Cancer in dogs is usually very aggressive. From the time it starts to the time it's too late is usually only a matter of a couple of days.

Most of the time there are no warning signs. We know you did the best you could possibly do.  We will keep you and Casper in our prayers tonight....

Kurt

#3 Blackcasper

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

Thank you so very much!

It really hurts, not having my little boy around anymore.

We had him as a puppy, from 3 months old, and apart from when I had to go into hospital for 10 days, we  were never separated!

This is going to take some getting used to I can tell you!, however, you've been through the same, so there is nothing I can say that you do not already know.

Although I have no children of my own, I really feel that I have lost my baby!

Fitzpatirck Referrals kindly sent me a "With Sympathy" card with a black labrador on the front, and iin the card they refer to my little boy as "......my dear friend", this means so much to me and my wife, because Casper was never just a pet to us, he was so much more, and then some!

I know that readers of this lovely labrador loving forum, will understand where I am coming from.

Your the best, don't let anybody tell you otherwise!

#4 marymary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, swimming, boating

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

We are very sorry for your loss. Your family is in our prayers.

#5 tbvaden

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in our prayers.

_ Terri & Molly

Terri

#6 Blackcasper

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

My wife and I are sincerely grateful.

I still find it hard to accept that our Casper is not with us anymore, I still keep talking to him  though, I say goodnight to him every night when I go to bed, I miss Casper's help whenever I straighten the duvet on the bed, I loved it when it took me over 10 minutes to do a 10 second task!, I miss him lying on my foot every time I sit at the table to work on my computer; who am I kidding, we just miss him!

God bless you America!                                         --Mike and Joy

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

I know it's still difficult, and you think you'll never get over it. We still miss our Kurt to this day even though we have four other dogs now. While they are all dogs, each one has its own independent personality and that's what makes them so special. Labs have aspecial way of attaching themselves to your heart.

But hang in there, you'll start feeling better little by little. It can sometimes take a few months. Have you visited the website www.petloss.com yet? It's for people who have just lost a pet and are coming to grips with it. You can even leave a memorial to Casper there. We visited it regularly after we lost our: Deco, Skippy, Vanessa, Data and Kelley. It really helped us a lot.

Click here to visit www.petloss.com the original Rainbow Bridge Website.

#8 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

I am so sorry.

They are never with us long enough and it hurts so much to lose them, but, that is the price we pay for the love and joy that they bring into our lives.

You are in my thoughts, I too understand the loss and pain you are going through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users