• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mann

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

I picked this 12 week old pup from a lady that needed to get rid of her. I did not see the parents, but she told me the mom was a registered black lab and the dad was a chocolate with no papers, but he was full blooded. I got him for my 14 year old son who is wanting his first retriever to train to retrieve ducks for us. She does retrieve. And looks lab to me? It does not really matter to us if she is mixed, we love her, and I think she will be trainable as a duck dog. Every young boy needs a lab to train and grow up with! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank You

Attached File  image.jpg   148.9K   19 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   127.52K   19 downloads

#2 Mann

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

I know the pictures are not the best, but any thoughts?

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

When it comes to genetics with labs, you have dominant and non dominant colors. Labs of Chocolate, Black & Yellow are all still the same breed. So you can have multiple colors within the same litter.

It looks like your little Labbie is full blooded. The eyes, ear shape, muzzle at this point all look pure lab to me. Do you know where the woman whom gave you this dog sourced it from? It's always nice  to know especially down the line in case the pup has any genetic disorders or problems that can be handed down the dog line.

Is this your first pup?

Kurt

#4 Mann

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

Kurt Thanks for looking at my post and responding. I have owned labs through the past. I have trained two for retrieving waterfowl, and had another that was just a friend. This is the first Black Lab that I have owned. I have had two chocolates and a yellow. I must say, the blacks are so very pretty. I never really did pay attention until I got this little girl. She is suppose to be my sons dog, but........ I do not know anything about the parents of this pup. I might have to try and talk to the lady again. My other labs were bought from good sources and I paid a lot of money for them. I don't have much money at this time, this little pup was cheep, so I took the chance. Labs have a way of grabbing your heart. The whole family is in love with her.

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Even though our website indicates it's blacklabrador.com we talk about labs of all different colors, lab mixes and even basic pet care for other breeds too.

The black lab is a beautiful dog, I will admit. But I love labs of all colors. Now how we ended up with one of each color all happened by accident, we didn't plan it that way. You see I was a behaviorist for a local shelter and........well you know the story.

Just make sure that your pup is dewormed and vaccinated. More pups are lost to distemper, etc than you would believe. Make sure you have  the receipts for the vaccinations if you don't already.

And remember that the things a dog learns in it's first six months of life are the things it's going to remember the rest of it's life. So this is the time phobias are born too. Make sure you socialize your pup well with other people and dogs and you'll end up with a confident calm lab.

If you have any other questions, please ask away!

Kurt

#6 Mann

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Kurt Very good advice!

#7 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

She looks like a lab to me.

She is a beautiful pup!

Smokey is my first lab as an adult, I did grow up with two yellows.

Smokey is my heart! He is naughty, but, he tries so hard to be a good boy and he is so smart and so eager to learn and to please. I just think he will be a chewer for life and never be trusted outside of his crate when we aren't home. LOL!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Puppy, full blooded, help, Gun dog, duck hunting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users