Photo

Hi, I'm Gamon's mommy. A few questions.. :)

new lab owner black lab mixed maybe cute diet snow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MrsSomething

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hi, my name is Christine and I'm new to this forum. I rescued a black lab probably about five or so months ago. He was wondering the streets when I found him. I took him straight to the vet because he had a gash in his head and two odd shaved rectangular spots on the back of his neck. Not sure what they were. Anyway, vet said he was about 6 months old and he wasn't chipped so I took him home. He's a very good puppy - but I've never owned a lab before so I have a few questions. 

1. Are they alright to go to the snow? We're going to cut down a Christmas tree tomorrow and I'm wanting to take him.

2. Do you guys think he's full lab? Vet said he could possibly be a lap pit mix. I know the pictures don't show it.. but his paws are HUGE. Way bigger than all the labs I've seen.

3. I want to take him to doggy training classes.. I'm not sure if he would be okay around other dogs or if I should do it privately. He gets very hyper and barks ALOT around other dogs. Makes the owners of those dogs worried. His bark is intimidating but I'm sure he wants to play because all he does is go over and lick the other dogs. 

4. Any tricks to get him to stop chewing up stuff. He's chewed up two lawn chairs and a hose.. >.> I got bitter apple to help it. Good or bad idea?

Heres a few pictures of him below!

1zgq0ox.jpg

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Welcome to Blacklabrador.com! We are happy you joined up with us. I am sure other members here will join in to help you out.

Your dog looks like a lab in all the photos except the one in the lower left corner. In that one I definitely see Pit Bull. This is not necessarily a bad thing.  You are doing a great job socializing him by letting him play with other dogs. Just make sure you let other people handle him, play with him, etc. This type of activity usually makes for a calmer, more confident dog.

Yes, labs do well in the snow. Just make sure you don't leave him tied up somewhere with his feet in the snow. Dogs can get frostbite on their feet.  When outside in snowy weather I would limit his time to about 30-45 minutes or so if you are moving or playing. . And if he walks across any streets/walks that have been treated with salt to melt the ice I would rinse his feet off with clean water once his feet warm back up after reentering the house.

As for obedience training, now is the perfect time ti start. The classes I like best are the ones where you take your dog to a class type environment with 6 or 7 other dogs there. The instructor shows YOU how to train your dog and you practice in the class with the instructor evaluating how you are doing. The kind of classes I don't like are  the ones where you send your dog off for a couple of weeks and the dog comes back "trained". Usually the owner will say something like "The dog listens to the trainer, but not to me"

Remember dog training is a partnership with you and your dog. It works best if you both learn at the same time.

I know we have several members here that own Lab/Pit mixes. I'm hoping  they'll come forward with more tips for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new lab owner, black lab, mixed, maybe, cute, diet, snow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users