4 replies to this topic

#1 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

We have had a super busy summer. Moving, finishing new house and trying to get our new yard in order.  We are just half a mile from the lake now.  We have spent many afternoons and evenings there and what a happy lab Smokey is.  He had a vet appointment yesterday and my "baby" is 82 pounds and a powerhouse! 

We are treating allergies, though.  He gets recurring yeast infections in his ears and now a rash on his belly in the areas with little fur.  It isn't the lake water as we rinse well and refrained to see if it cleared up.  I religiously dry his ears with an ear cleaning/drying agent.

I am convinced he is allergic to both chicken and grain. 

The food roller coaster is not a fun ride!

I've got some catching up to do here...

#2 marymary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, swimming, boating

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

We are glad to have you and Smokey back on the forums!! Also, I am very glad Smokey is doing well.

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

We certainly have missed you!

What kind (brand/model) of food are you feeding Smokey now? We used to have this problem with our dogs, but when we switched dog foods all the ear infections stopped.

How is Smokey doing with his swimming? Any dock diving yet?

-Kurt

#4 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Wellness CORE is what we are trying.  Hoping taking the grains out will be good for his ears.  I was feeding Innova, but don't like the changes with the company...tried FROMM it didn't agree with his stomach at all.  Canidae is another on my list that is easily accessible and read good things about.

Dock Diving, boat diving, Yes!  Smokey will take the plunge from ANYWHERE!

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

Is the ear wash you are using called "Epi-Otic:? That's what I use on our dogs. It's antihydroscopic meaning it repels water. Our vet told us to put in a squirt of this in their ears as soon as they are done playing in the pool. Then later that night dry the ears out as best we can. Moist ears can cause smelly yeast infections in the ears.

Sounds like Smokey loves to swim! And it's excellent exercise for them because it's considered very low impact on their joints.

All of our labs & our Rhodesian Ridgeback love to swim except for Sammy, our Chocolate Lab. He'll go in the pool and lay down on the second step in the pool. This puts the water halfway up his neck. But he won't go after a ball in the pool We think his problem is that he doesn't like having his feet off the ground. If you pick him up he'll growl mildly but that's the only time he'll do that. He's a very lovable dog otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users