• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Carebear

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:31 PM

Okay so Joe has apparently gotten into a "destroy all my toys" phase. His poor stuffed tiger has had 7 surgeries and lost both ears...actually none of his toys have ears (maybe he should have been named Mike Tyson instead of Joe Frazier). We have the ropes and the Kong and bones, but he only likes the stuffed animals. He doesn't have muc of an interest in the others. So my problem is finding someting he will enjoy but not destroy.
Also he used to have alot of interest in his rope/squeaky ball but now he doesn't care for them at all. Is there a reason for this?

#2 STUFF

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

Kiara tends to break her stuffed animals as well. Instead of trying to find her a good high quality expensive one, I went the other route. I go to walmart and get her a bunch of cheap ones. I let her play with one and put the others away. As soon as I see that she has broken part of one, I take it away and throw it out. Then I give her a new one. I think it's kind of better that way since dogs do get bored of toys, it keeps her playing with different toys. But I could be wrong. I'm no expert, everything I do comes from advice people give me and what I think makes sense hehe :)

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

I find that Kong toys seem to last the longest. We have a few black Kong toys that are a few years old and still going strong!

#4 Carebear

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

Yeah we have a Kong that he won't touch unless it is full of PB. We are going to stop doing that though because we ave noticed a bad reaction to the PB where he regurgitates the next meal that he gets. We think the PB is sticking to his esophagus and somehow trapping the food. So, we did get him this tire looking thing and he has no interest in it. He has however, developled a huge interest in one of the cat toys. I am wary of letting him play with it tough (the cats couldn't care less about it) because it is filled with cat nip and i have no clue how that could effect Joe.

#5 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

Both of mine tear up anything with stuffing in it. While at the pet store the other day, I found a toy made by Kong and its called a Wubba. It looks like a Kong that is covered with material and has a sqeeker on the inside. So far so good, they haven't destroyed it yet and seem to like it. I will let you know how long it lasts!
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#6 tbvaden

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

My boys love the stuffed toys. They work so hard to get the squeaker out! Once they have ripped it and pulled some of the stuffing out I would remove the rest and they would play with the "carcass".

I noticed the other day at the pet store that they are carrying a new line of toys with no stuffing.
Terri

#7 Mauro

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

Another bit of advice that goes along with another persons post.......it's spring cleaning time meaning lots of garage sales going on. I'll stop and snag up stuffed animals from garage sales for 25 cents a piece or whatever and just keep rotating them through (after all, there's always a recovery time after surgery).

We have 4 kongs for our two dogs. Some chicken flavored nyla bones. The best thing we've found is the Marrow Bones are awesome. I buy them as a treat for my two and they spend hours trying to get the marrow out and then they spend weeks just gnawing on the bones too.

Another thing i read and utelize is deer antlers. I gave one each to my pups and they go nuts without wearing them to a nub, and they're 100% natural (and can be free).

Best of luck...when my two are bored bored they start going after the cat or if they're in their pen, they attack the flaps on their doggy door, which i'm still trying to prevent.

#8 STUFF

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Both of mine tear up anything with stuffing in it. While at the pet store the other day, I found a toy made by Kong and its called a Wubba. It looks like a Kong that is covered with material and has a sqeeker on the inside. So far so good, they haven't destroyed it yet and seem to like it. I will let you know how long it lasts!

I bought this same toy for Kiara a few weeks back. So far it's holding out pretty good. She doesn't like it as much as her green long doglike thing... which surprisingly has lasted a lot longer than I thought.

Here is an image of the green long doglike thing. . . my roommate and I just call it the green penis... cuz we are. .. immature.
Posted Image

But yea she prefers stuffed animals over anything. I have a kong that I had bought for her but the PB made her stomach unhappy. So now it's just there. I need to find something else to stick in there. . . maybe banana? who knows.

#9 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

Might I suggest this.

Posted Image You might have a problem with rust.

Anyway, I am pretty good at the claw machine. Rarely miss. A buck fifty and I can get four or five stuffed animals.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#10 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

V.S. - That is too funny....

#11 STUFF

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Are you suggesting I make quarters out of large rods? .... lol Thats what that picture looks like to me anyway :)

And damn, you must be good. I used to be pretty good at the claw machine, but not sure what happened. I'd still spend a couple of bucks to get 1 though. Hehe this one time I was out with this lady I was ###### and she saw a Simba in a sea of Nemo fishes. I figured i could get the Simba out but I'd have to either move or take out a nemo in order to do it. $25 later I had the Simba. A nice $1 Simba. . . . Oh well, it was fun at least :)

#12 Carebear

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Lol I have never been able to win a single thing out of those games. But maybe the metal rods would be a good choice for Joe they may last a day or 2.

#13 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

It might.

This site has a few toys that are supposed to be pretty tough. I haven't used them, so I cant speak to as how strong they are.

http://www.bigtimedogtoys.net/

But I don't think that any stuffed animal dog tow can be tougher than redwing work boots, and D.O.G tore through those in about twenty minutes when he was a pup.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#14 Tara Too

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Dogs (duh!), 2d Amendment, Emergency Medical Services, Navy (retired)

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

Rope devices, usually of heavy artificial rope, 1/2" to 1" in diameter, about a foot long with a knot in each end, have worked well for our dogs. They charge around the house, "killing" the rope (breaking the neck of their imagined prey). Another somewhat similar device is three flat fabric tapes braided together, perhaps 18" long. That has outlasted 2 or 3 dogs so far ... we can't remember when we got it. Tara will find it a few times each week, and shake it until she is tired of it ... until next time.

Tara's most favored toy is a brightly colored rubber dumb-bell, about 10" long, with a 3" diameter ball at each end. It has a "toothed" opening at each end. Stuff dog treat in through the openings, and she will be occupied for half an hour. Even when empty, she will play with it by herself, or bring it to me to throw ... or to put more treats in it. It is heavy even when empty, and has to be thrown carefully, or rolled on a hard floor.

#15 Carebear

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

Today I "unstuffed" his favorite toy. A tiger we call Muhammed Ali. I swear this dog is so smart we say "go get Ali" and he comes back with that tiger. He seems to enjoy him just as much unstuffed as he did stuffed and now I won't find white fluff all over the room if I leave for 5 seconds.

#16 GoughNuts

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first day in the forum. I just love the labs and they are a big part of what i do every day. I love chew toy chat and for me it is all about matching the dog with a safe toy that is of interest to the dog. I think everyone would agree safety has to be the #1 priority then right behind that is fun. I have learned a lot from other dog forums that I am in and I am sure I can learn a lot here. Anyway I hope to get to know you and your dogs over time. Have a great day. Amy

#17 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Amy:

Welcome to BlackLabrador.com. We are glad that you are here!
Our members are very friendly. You won't have a hard time fitting right in. We are looking forward to your participation!

#18 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

I've just bought Summer a solid rubber ball attatched to a bungee cord made by Kong. The ball seems pretty much indestructable and so far the cord has resisted Summer's teeth. Only cost 2.50 from our local pet shop.

Mike, ashley & Summer.

#19 GoughNuts

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

I've just bought Summer a solid rubber ball attatched to a bungee cord made by Kong. The ball seems pretty much indestructable and so far the cord has resisted Summer's teeth. Only cost 2.50 from our local pet shop.

Mike, ashley & Summer.

London!!!! Are you really from London? Can you tell me what chew toys are considered the best in England? The shipping from the US is tough and thus we have limited exposure. I am sure am interested in what chew toys are lab proof that are sold in your area. Thanks.

Amy

#20 GoughNuts

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Amy:

Welcome to BlackLabrador.com. We are glad that you are here!
Our members are very friendly. You won't have a hard time fitting right in. We are looking forward to your participation!

Thanks Kurt - See you around the forum! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users