Photo

Do you consider your dog/s and/or cats/pets family ?:)?

pet psychology

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 labs uncle

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Today is my nephew Troy's birthday-he's an English black lab. My sister says he can't be her nephew because he's just a dog. I told her "that's OK just don't let Troy here you say that". I sent him a nice birthday card with a $20 gift certificate. do you celebrate your pets birthday ?

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

No, we don't. But we do consider our dogs members of our family. They get special days throughout the year where we do an all day long activities like hiking, swimming at the beach, etc. Plus they get a lot of loving and attention all week long.

But we do know people who have birthday parties for their dogs.

#3 zacfields

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

My family has always given Christmas presents to the dogs - usually a stocking full of toys and chewies. It's like watching a little kid get a present - they're so excited! 

I've always considered pets as part of the family. If you think about it, how could you not? Dogs instinctively view you as the leader of their pack (part of their family), so why wouldn't you reciprocate. Dogs spend their entire lives trying to please us, so the least we can do is consider them part of our family :) 

#4 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

You got it right!

We give our dogs Christmas presents too. They love it. We once boarded a Weinerimer during the holidays that loved to unwrap presents under the tree.  As soon as he saw them he would start unwrapping! It was funny to watch. I think his owner trained him to do that.

#5 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

We sure do!  For birthdays I make them a scrambled egg birthday cake (just scrambled eggs in a tiny round pan so they get a little tall and hold a round shape.  For Christmas they get their own stockings filled with appropriate toys/treats.

#6 Blackcasper

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Absolutely right I did!

Although Casper is no longer with us (RIP 10/1/14), to me it would have been absolutely inconceivable to treat him as anything less than a full member of the family!

I have never felt any awkwardness or embarassment, quite the opposite in fact!, when I used to say to everybody, that Casper was my little boy, and I am fortunate, insofar as nobody in my family ever referred to Casper as being "just" a dog! (in fact I am not even sure how I would have reacted if they did!--- I have no problem respecting the opinions of people, who see the world differently to me, but most people have an intuitive sense, when it is best to keep their opinions to themselves, I have a lot of dog loving friends, who also view their canine companions as fully fledged family members!)

Thus, that would make me Casper's "dad" !, and if anybody sniggers at that, then who has got the real problem!

#7 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

We treat our dogs as equals in our family. If there is no room on the sofa because the dogs are lying on it, then tough. Sit somewhere else. It is their home as well as ours. They also get birthday and christmas presents.

#8 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

I remember that photo you posted a few years ago with all of your dogs on the sofa in the lounge. It was funny! Culd you repost it?

BTW, nice to see you here again.

#9 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

become the 8000 member....we have 7999

Blacklabrador.com
Admin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users