• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetail90

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hello everybody! I am new to Labrador's and can't wait to get my little bundle of joy! He won't be born until mid October and ready to pick up at the end of December, and it's going to make a great present for my 3 year old daughter. I have made sure the breeder has all the paper work and health clearances, and she really has a nice facility where they get to run around and play, and it's very clean, not a nasty kennel. I have a nice fenced in yard, and even a bedroom in our house all ready for him! We got a pond that I'm sure he will enjoy as well. I guess I am just looking for any advice for what to expect when I bring him home, and any advice at all about black labs! Thanks.

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

Welcome to Blacklabrador.com! We are glad you are here!

It's great that you are thinking ahead of time about acquiring your first lab. They are fun dogs. But they do grow fast and they are pretty wild for at least their first three years. I'd watch your three year old so she doesn't get knocked over by the pup as it grows in size. Labs love  to play and they are very strong dogs. Sometimes they don't realize how strong they are.

First thing, puppy proof your home. Make sure your pup can't get to any electrical wires or things it can chew and swallow. Check all the rooms that the dog will have access to. Pups can choke on small toys kids may have around. Make sure those things are picked up.

Second, I would advice kennel training your dog for housebreaking and sleeping at night. Place the kennel in your bedroom. Dogs are pack animals and they want to sleep where the pack (family) sleeps. There are a lot of threads here that deal with how this is accomplished.

Discipline. Puppies love to play, it's how they learn about the world. For the first three months or so, all your dog should have to learn is it's name and what the word "No!" means. Don't yell or scream at the puppy. Remember the things a dog learns in the first six months of its life are the things it will remember best the rest of its life. Phobias are also formed during this time period.

Any questions so far?

-Kurt

#3 Whitetail90

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

Our house is pretty child/puppy proof since we have our daughter. And getting this puppy will be a great excuse for getting rid of some of her small toys since our house is full of them lol. I want to make sure we are being plenty active for him, we have a nice yard, and we go to the park often and play where this a walking track. I also ike to go on nightly runs that he would enjoy once he matures. I just can't wait to get him, and he's not even born yet, is that normal? Haha. I think every kid should have a dog to grow up with them, and I never had that as a kid. We plan on moving out to the country in a few years so he would like that even more I believe. When he is a puppy, do I need to get him a small collar, then get him a bigger adult one when he gets bigger? I like the 1.5" leather ones when hes older, but what about when he's a puppy?

#4 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:24 AM

Yes, you will need a collar for your pup. In fact as he grows he will go through several collars. You want the collar to fit so you can put three fingers under the collar between the dog and collar when the collar is on the dog.  Lab pups do grow fast so check the fit of the collar weekly. You want the collar tight enough so it doesn't fall off, but not so loose that it can get caught on things.

Just remember when you get your pup, don't overload him with activity right away. Just like human babies, puppies sleep a lot. The most important thing is as soon as you get your pup immediately take him to a veterinarian for a check up and vaccinations if needed. If t he dog has any defects the vet will find them and let you know about them. Pups also need vaccinating. Lots of pups die from Parvo and Distemper every year. Vaccinations help prevent this. So make sure that gets done.

How old will the puppy be when you get him? I have always found that pups that stay with the litter up to 10-12 weeks usually end up being more calmer, confident dogs later in life. You certainly don't want a 5 or 6 week old pup. That's way too early.

#5 Whitetail90

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

The breeder told me he will have all his puppy vaccinations before I pick him up. I will make sure and take him to a vet when I get him to have him looked over. He will be about 9 weeks old when I am able to pick him up.

#6 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

That's good. Make sure you take the vaccination paperwork the breeder gives you to the vets office so he has those records on file.

You will always want to keep good records on your pup.  I know you are excited! I would be too, pups are a lot of fun!

-Kurt

#7 marymary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, swimming, boating

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

weclome to Blacklabrador.com!! Congrat's on your bundle of joy ( you new Familiy member) Please post soem pic's when you get a chance.

#8 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:40 AM

We always love photos!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users