• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mama Holly

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

If anyone is wondering what causes puppy to hiccup, I can't help you, however, I can tell you what works for my Chezzy Bear. Chezaray is almost 4 months old and get's the hiccups alot. I have found that a COLD STRAWBERRY stops the hiccup in its tracks. Be careful though, strawberries are a great treat and very good for your pup. However, they're LOADED with sugar and puppy can go a little bat $#%^ crazy if given too many. I usually give one to three at a time depending on their size. Puppy mostly likes them warm (room temp) but for hiccups, the cold ones work better.  :)

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:26 AM

Sorry about the delay in answering this question. I figured someone along the way would answer it.

What causes puppy hiccups is that when the pup is eating they may swallow some air in the process. This allows for gas in the stomach. The hiccuping is the pups body trying to equalize the pressure. Usually after a burp the hiccuping stops. This is completely normal behavior for a pup and I wouldn't worry about it. Unless it goes on for hours and hours on end. Sometimes by putting the pup on your shoulder and very gently patting the pups back (like you would a human baby) you can get the pup to burp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users