• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Patdog

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:11 AM

I adopted a lovely 10 month boy. I was told to keep feeding him Royal Cannin but it was giving him terrible diarrhea and he also had bad breath. I did the bland diet of chicken and rice but that didn't really help. I changed the rice to lentils and saw some improvement and less bad breath. I tried a few other variations but nothing really helped so slowly introduced him to a raw diet. This showed improvement but his stool isn't consistent. I thought a raw diet would give consistent results. In the beginning he ate his faeces but I could see it was because of the digestive issue. If I gave him the chance he would still eat it because of a bad habit. He also came with pica. Eating anything and everything but now it is just grass. Any suggestions on want I could add to firm up his stool or maybe something to be added to his diet? I buy premade raw patties free of preservatives, additives and artificial flavour. He has been to the Vet and his general health is good. He is also up to date on worming. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:19 AM

Thank you for writing. Who was the one who wanted you to continue with the Royal Canin? You have to remember that not all dog food agrees with each and every dog. 

The reason you feed the chicken and rice is because it's more gentle on the dogs stomach than normal dog food is. When a dog has diarreah the stomach and intestines are usually irritated and you want to be able to calm that irritation down. I would try adding some canned pumpkin to his diet. That sometimes will help settle out a case of diarrhea. In the meantime, try to keep your dog calmed down (I know at that age it's a tall order!) and keep him from eating grass, feces, etc. We once had a dog that became very violently ill because it was eating grass that one of our neighbors diseased cats was urinating on. So limit his intake to water and chicken and rice. When your pup has normal stools again you can slowly shift from the chicken and rice to whatever dog food you want to feed him.

If the diarreah persists you may have to go back to the vet for treatment. Usually a prescription of Metacomprimine and Flagyl will settle their stomachs out in a day or two. The danger of diarrhea in pups and dogsis dehydration. So make sure your pup always has water available to it.

Let us know how this all turns out for you.

-Kurt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users