• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ThirtyFiveAdams

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Good Evening or morning or afternoon, recently 3 days ago i aquired a black lab puppie, the thing is, he is 5 weeks old, i wanted to keep him with his mom and litter for at least 3 more weeks, but the "Breeder" had already sold most of his brothers and sisters and would'nt want to keep him for an extra month... he doesnt seem to see very well, i will take him to the vet this friday to take vaccines and check his eyes (it seems hes a little short sighted)
my questions are, when should i start potty training him? (can i do so already?)
he cries a lot (he is usually in the backyard he inst allowed in the house) whenever i hear him whining i cant help but go check on him, i am worried that by giving him atention whenever he whines and howls he will start doing that on purpose to call me to play with him.... so should i go or should i try to grow some balls and endure the urge?
i am feeding him with dry kribble since i dont have bitch milk, is cow milk bad for him? i found some sites saying it is and other teaching how to use it to make some kind of fake bitch milk so i am kinda confused...

i thank you all for the atention and i am sorry for any grammar mistake i am brazillian and learned english watching movies so there are gigantic chances of writing like a drunk toddler...
EDIT:
Also when can i bathe him?

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Can you return this pup to the breeder? It sounds like it may be too young to leave the litter. It also sounds like the person you bought this dog from is in it for the money and nothing else. If the breeder is telling you the pup is 5 weeks old, it may actually be 3 weeks old. I have seen this type of thing before. The best thing you could do for that pup is to return it to mama. A dog this young needs to be in the house for protection. 

Why is it too young? Pups need to be weaned off of mama. It sounds like this pup was just sold as soon as it could stand. Pups  that stay with their litter and aren't sold until 10-12 weeks old are much more calm, confident dogs. Dogs that are adopted out too early don't have the time to learn from the other pups about pack behavior, etc.and you'll end up with a dog that's a mess. 

And you are keeping this dog outside? At 5 weeks a pup can't even properly control its own temperature let alone being exposed to the elements. To tell you the truth. I don't think this dog will survive for long. But then again, I don't think it'll survive for long with the original owner either.  The best thing you could do is to ask a good veterinarian what you can do to increase this dogs chances at life. 

I  invite other members to contribute their advice to this guy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users