#1 VampD3

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Walking, games, reading and sports

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:47 AM

Hi All

Its been a little while since I last posted on here!

I am having a little trouble with Jake. He seems to be alweays biting his paws and rubbing his nose on the ground as though its an allergy. Kurt - I believe you suggested Benadryl?

He seemed to stop for awhile so I didnt bother with it but its came back with a vengence. I am taking him to the vet next month but in ther mean time to help him - is it benadryl? How much for him? He is a lean lab and is 4 years old now. Is it the childrens one or just the normal adult one? capsules or medicine?

Thank you for any help all, I am wanting to get this today to help him so please, any help would be great

Deborah

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yes, springtime is here. Along with it all the pollens and things that can irriate noses and skins.

Benedryl works just fine. Use the standard Benedry caps. See if you can get an accurate reading of your dogs weight.

The dose is 1 cap for every 20lbs of dog weight every 12 hours. Our Brandy has been scratching her face with her paws recently. I give her 1 Benedryl every 12 hours and it relieves her symptoms. So your mileage may vary. I'd start with 1 cap every 12 hours and it fhat doesn't do it, i'd go to two caps every 12 hours.

This doseage may seem high, but dogs metabolize Benedryl differently than humans do. And it doesn't seem to tire them out as it does to humans.

Never give a dog anything like Sudafed, Allerest, Dimetapp, etc. Those medications have ingredients that can be harmful to your dog. Benedryl is the safest way to go outside of a veterinary prescription.

Please let us know how this works for you.

Kurt

#3 VampD3

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Walking, games, reading and sports

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

Hi Kurt

Thank you for that. I am unsure if they UK Benedryl is different from the US one? I was having a look last night on the internet.

Also I can only get the capsules. So I give him one last night in peanut butter! Being a lab he would have probably had the capsules regardless of the peanut butter!

How long till you notice if it is working. I give it to him before bed and noticed he wasn't licking his paws this morning! but still rubbed his nose a lot with his paws. Will it take a couple?

Thank you so much

Deborah and Jakey

#4 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

The ingredients should be the same no matter what country the Benedryl is sold in. Look at the package it came in. It should say that the active ingredient is "Diphenhydramine HCI 20mg". Strangely enough even though I bought my package here in the U.S. it states "Made In Japan".

The capules are fine to give, but you don't really want your dog to chew them. I would put them in a food that your dog doesn't chew, but just swallows.

Maybe a small piece of meat or cheese? And I would bump the dose up to two caps every 12 hours until you get relief, then back it down to one evry 12 hours and see what happens. If the itching returns, go back to the two capsules a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users