• 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:28 PM

head size

#2 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (jessie/kerry @ Nov 26 2007, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jessie/Kerry and welcome to this great site.

I also saw the comment you placed on another thread:

your dog is great! i have a 1 1/2 year old and a 6 month old black lab. both are AKC. i am worried about the baby because she has a "skinny" head. the big girl has a beautiful block head, but i don't really remember when she developed that. do you have any insight into when they develop a "good" head?

Please don't worry, your pup is perfectly normal, and she's still young. Some labs grow up with a big blocky powerful head, and some have a more slender, gracile cranium in adulthood. Both are full on labs. There are distinctions between "English" and "American" labs, with the English lab being the stockier of the two. A more slender build won't make her any less of a dog. If you plan on showing your dogs, then look at the breeding standard.

Have a browse through the gallery here and look at some of our pups on the site. "Benny the Bull" has a magnificent broad head, and my dog "Phoebe" is more slender. Both are 100% lab. That's just two examples. Your pups will both fit in fine here (so post some pics?) - and you shouldn't worry in case her head is the wrong shape.

Here's Benny the Bull:

and here's Phoebe:

...and there's many many more great examples of all shapes of purebred labs here (and some beautiful dogs who have a little of something else in their blood too!)
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#3 ian

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:I'm a staff nurse. I assist in the training and re homing of dogs.

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:51 AM

Bailey is also a working lab (American). The working labs were bread to be more athletic looking than their Show (English) brothers. The workers tend to have more of a drive for hunting and lots lots more energy.

the snout tends to be a lot longer than the show breed.
If it looks like it works and it feels like it works
Then it works

Mans best friend

#4 anne

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

I have always been curious of this, the reason being is my neighbour has a black Lab but his head is much bigger than Ben's, Ben's head has the long snout and isnt as big and people ask me if Ben is a pure bred because he looks different to our neighbours which they class as a purebred.

#5 mica

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:I am a photographer who shows labradors.. lol weird mixture I know

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ian.. I must disagree with your point about show labs lacking in drive.. I have show labs and all of them LOVE to do a day's work and believe me thay can go ALL day! lol.. sometimes tires me out just watching them.
Bailey has a beautiful expression.
it is one of life's unchangable laws.. that all friendly dogs have dirty paws

#6 tsprenk

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (ian @ Nov 26 2007, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bailey is also a working lab (American). The working labs were bread to be more athletic looking than their Show (English) brothers. The workers tend to have more of a drive for hunting and lots lots more energy.

the snout tends to be a lot longer than the show breed.

Baileys second picture looks a lot like Shadow's snout does! Shes the first that ive seen! haha

#7 Tailes

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Geek Stuff, Dancing to music, Fixing things, My Luke, My Kids, Being Outside, Eating, Swimming, Walking, and Old Fashioed guys who like to pay for dates.<br />^_~<br /><br />ohh yeah and veggin infront of the tv for no reason..

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

Luke has the slender snout.. but noone has ever said anything then.. " Is he a lab? " Gues he hids that chow mix awful well.

^_~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users