Photo

Dogs Are Absolutely Amazing (Even if this Writer Calls Them Parasites)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JBG

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:49 PM

According to this fascinating article, The Big Search to Find Out Where Dogs Come From, well worth the time to read, dogs "(a)t some point, they became the tail-wagging beggar now celebrated as man’s best friend, that 'best friend' is not an 'ecological definition'" and that "the domestic house dog may have evolved into a parasite."

My own view is that the relationship is symbiotic. Dogs are fantastic animals both for the love they give and since they are useful to man, for pragmatic reasons and as companions. Pragmatically dogs guide the blind, herd cattle and sheep, retrieve ducks from lakes and rivers, and rescue people from avalanches. Among other useful functions.

From a companionship point of view what more need be said than the smile they put on people's faces when they come home from work. Or the comfort that a dog's head in your lap gives you after a bad day. Or therapy dogs that calm stressed out people.

I agree that dogs self-selected man. But man could not have gotten to where it is without that dogs. Encampments could grow into villages when protected. So both dog and man got a good deal.

Really, what's a better way to come home than to have a Lab thump you with its tail?

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:37 AM

I agree with you. However, dogs do need our help, especially here in the United States. Due to  various reasons not enough dogs have a permanent home. In Houston, Texas alone it is estimated that there are over 1 million stray dogs with nobody to care for them. How did this happen? IMHO, man has let the dog down and in a lot of cases the dog is left to fend for itself. This is wrong and cannot be justified.

Education about animal care must be force fed to the masses who are either ignorant or just don't care about this problem.

#3 JBG

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

I agree with you. However, dogs do need our help, especially here in the United States. Due to  various reasons not enough dogs have a permanent home. In Houston, Texas alone it is estimated that there are over 1 million stray dogs with nobody to care for them. How did this happen? IMHO, man has let the dog down and in a lot of cases the dog is left to fend for itself. This is wrong and cannot be justified.

Education about animal care must be force fed to the masses who are either ignorant or just don't care about this problem.

People can be crueler than animals sometimes. They have bred dogs to be loving and helpless without their partner, man. The least we can do is return their unconditional love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users