Photo

MY DOG JUST PASSED FROM TEETH CLEANING (Very sad)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:16 PM

Hello ,

My Black Lab Blake just passed on from a simply teeth cleaning. This is  after 5 weeks of complications from anesthesia. I did have faith in the vet we were using for all 4 of my Black labs over the last 10 years. However, I clearly gave her too much credit. Remember most vet's are profit center for the company they work for! Very similar to a brokerage house, instead of selling stocks they push teeth cleaning , heartworm, flea med;s and every shot that you are dumb enough to say ok to.

Ok, so we were dumb enough to fall for the teeth cleaning story. Our Blake was 11 years old in perfect shape as of Jan 13. We took him in for a simple teeth cleaning and our world changed forever. My opinion, the Dr fell behind on another dog in surgery and our Blake had to wait after till around 3 pm versus the 10 am operation scheduled time. So I fasted him the nigh before, Blake did not eat for almost 24 hours. Operation started at 3 ish and once they started working on teeth, Dr noticed 4 teeth were in bad shape and called my wife to tell the sales story. My natural said got ahead he was on the table already. Ok, also that same day my wife wanted to remove some patched on sides of blake ( fatty deposits). Dr after ripping 4 teeth out of 11 years dog who has eaten and been on operation table for hours at this time continues to proceed and remove fatty deposits from the sides of our 11 Lab. Ok, here the issues Blake passed on from esophagitis. During the operation Blake stomach acids burned his esophagus. We treat him in the ICU for everything else accept esophagitis. Blake spent 5 weeks throwing up and could not eat anything. He had trouble  swallowing his own siliva. Unfortantely  we lost our battle when Dr did scope and we could not try anything else.

My point of writing this sad story which end one week ago today----I don't want it to happen to anyone else!!!

Heartbroken Forever!

Blacklabrador.com
Admin

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:12 AM

We found this out ourselves a few years ago.Our chocolate lab Sammy went in to have a small fatty deposit on his chest removed. He'd had anesthesia before without any problems.the vet did a complete pre op blood panel test and all looked well. Sammy at the time was 10 years old.

When I picked Sammy up after his surgery he didn't seem to be ok. He was staggering and took most of the evening to recover. He hadn't done that in previous dental cleanings, lump removals.  I took him in the next week to have the two stitches taken out from where he had his lump removed and the doctor noted that Sammy had CHF. (Congestive Heart Failure). I asked her how something like this could happen? All she could say is "Sometimes things like this happen, he may have been allergic to the anesthesia meds and you signed a release before surgery acknowledging that this could happen! I was shocked. Instead of giving me answers the vet was hiding behind a legal release.

For the next three years Sammy wasn't the same dog. He once played ball and Frisbee. Now if he tried he'd collapse panting, He's on heart meds, but he's not the same dog. At 10:30pm tonight, Sammy passed away here at home from heart failure. I think he knew he was going as this afternoon the hair on his back was standing straight up and stayed that way. Finally he came over laid down on the floor next to my chair and just went to sleep.

So remember there are risks to anesthesia in dogs!

-Kurt

#3 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

Kurt,

I am so sorry for your loss and  that you had to go through this unfortunate event.

Very Sincerely,

Ron

Blacklabrador.com
Admin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users