Sadie update (Lyme Disease Info)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi Sadie had her vet apt last nite. She has lyme disease for those of you not in the know.

I was fostering her for www.occretrieverrescue.com Now we have decided to adopt her.
We were told she had lyme disease when we picked her up from the former owners. They gave us the meds and all her paperwork and detailed information a cbc etc.. (cbc= complete bloodwork)

She is on diocyxlone...I know my spelling is wayyy off (email me hskoconnor@gmail.com if you want the correct spelling) She takes 4 pills once a day with food.. or they won't digest completely or something.

Once she finishes her meds. I will have to watch for pain or limping. We are also going to take some blood
and do a retest once the meds are finished so she can have the lyme shot, and booster.

Sadie will always test positive for lyme when bloodwork is done on her in the future.. as long as she is not in any pain or limping it is considered a cure.

If it occurs again we just medicate her again.. and see if it helps. It's a illness that has alot of wait and see to it.. it's also a illness that mocks or mimics other diseases. It's called the great pretender. Unless you actually have the tick.. it's very hard to know for sure. If the meds seem to help .. then it's considered lyme disease. Since she was housed in an outdoor kennel.. it's quite possible. (Sadie is now an indoor dog only)

I just wanted to post this so if you have a dog with lyme.. you can get some quick info.. I am not a vet so I wouldn't take my info as gospel. If you have any questions of me, emailing is fine.

Heather Duke & Sadie O'Connor
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#2 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

We just had that same scare with Rileyabout 2 weeks ago, but his labs all came back negative. We had him on the same meds for 2 weeks and he was on Cipro. He is back to normal now, our vet is at a loss because he was a very sick boy one day and is right back to his rowdy self the next. It is a very scary feeling to see your baby so sick like that. The only thing he's is hating now is that he is on the fat boy program. We had to cut back on his dog food and cut WAY back on the puppy treats. He only had to loose about 10 lbs but he looks great now. I feel for poor Sadie!
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#3 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

Thanks . Yeah Sadie would love you to feel bad for her and give her a nice fat juicy treat. She needs to lose about 10 pounds to make it into the tufts spay program. But she really could use losing 15 or 20 pounds. The vet suggested a low fat dog food.. and low fat treats once in a while. The poor pup.. she just loves to eat.

I am hoping that the lyme will be fine once she finishes her meds... and we can just go on with life.. but, nothing worth fighting for is ever easy.. so we shall see..

I love the name Riley btw. I used to nanny a little girl named Riley. She was adorable.. and I always wanted to use the name for a little kid.. no girls for me however... So I used boy Irish names instead.. Liam and Rory are mine. Riley's mom got the idea from a dog named Riley... he was a Labrador also.. think he was black or chocolate.. smile.gif
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#4 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Heather @ Dec 15 2006, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks . Yeah Sadie would love you to feel bad for her and give her a nice fat juicy treat. She needs to lose about 10 pounds to make it into the tufts spay program. But she really could use losing 15 or 20 pounds. The vet suggested a low fat dog food.. and low fat treats once in a while. The poor pup.. she just loves to eat.

I am hoping that the lyme will be fine once she finishes her meds... and we can just go on with life.. but, nothing worth fighting for is ever easy.. so we shall see..

I love the name Riley btw. I used to nanny a little girl named Riley. She was adorable.. and I always wanted to use the name for a little kid.. no girls for me however... So I used boy Irish names instead.. Liam and Rory are mine. Riley's mom got the idea from a dog named Riley... he was a Labrador also.. think he was black or chocolate.. smile.gif

Funny that you say that because my nieces name is Rylee. She was born before my Riley but that was his name when we adopted him from the shelter, we figured that he had already had it for 8 months and we didn't want to change it. We have to specify which Riley were are talking about when we talk to family.
Marne, Riley and Maggie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users