• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nelso

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

Hi All, My six month old lab has had a bout of very loose stools and sore rear end. Took him to the Vet who checked him over and said it may be the result of too many marrow bones. He suggested a diet of boiled chicken and rice for 3 days. However, after this time he is still extremely hungry, sleeps a lot and when awake full of life. I am wondering if he is having s growth spurt and teething issues which are causing his loose stools? Any suggestions

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

Too many yummies can upset your pups stomach. How many are you giving your pup per day?

Are you feeding the same dog food on a regular basis? Changing brands abruptly can also upset a dogs stomach and lead to this.

The vet gave you good advice, chicken and rice for three days. Did the vet give you any pills to give your dog to stop the diarrhea? Usually they do. When you put your dog back on its dog food do it slowly. Mix in the dog food with some rice for a day or two increasing the amount of dog food each time.

Your dog can very well be having teething issues. This is when the baby teeth come out and adult teeth come it. I have always given our dogs ice cubes to chew on. That seems to help as well as having chewing items available for them at all  times. A smooth nylabone or some made in America Rawhide chews seem to fit the bill. But like anything else in moderation.

If your dog is continuing to have loose stools, I would go to the drug store and buy a product called Pedialyte and mix it in with the pups water. This will prevent dehydration. When a dog has loose stools for more than a few days dehydration can become a problem. Pedialyte helps prevent that from happening. I would give your dog a 50/50 mix or Pedialyte and water.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users