7 replies to this topic

#1 BINGHAMTONBLACKLAB

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

Hi Everyone,

Looking for advice on my y 10 yr F lab. Daisy has had diarrhea or a runny stool for 4 days now. She is eating with no change in appetite. I've switched to feeding her plain white rain and chicken thinking this would help her. She is drinking a little more than usual. Thus, she is peeing more than usual.

There hasn't much change in her energy or temperament. Nothing appears different except with the diarrhea.

I'm at a loss on what to do. I do plan on calling her vet on Monday. Though, getting an immediate appointment can be difficult. 

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Could Daisy have gotten into something and ate something she shouldn't have? Like maybe plants in the garden or something like that? Does she have a case of very odorous gas as well?

Yes, I would call the veterinarian and take Daisy in for an examination. Could be she just needs some prescription meds to settle her stomach. I've seen vets prescribe Flagyl and Metacomprimine to settle a dogs stomach. Usually within 24 hours all is well again.

If you meant to say you are feeding white rice and canned chicken breast that's the right thing to feed her at this time.

You can also feed her canned pumpkin. That helps with diarrhea too.

In the meantime, I would go to the pharmacy and get something called Pedialyte. It's a water replacement they give human babies when they have diahrrea. It works in dogs too. Dogs can dehydrate very quickly when they have diarrhea, and Pedialyte prevents that from happening. Either mix in 50/50 with the dogs water or follow directions on the bottle.

#3 BINGHAMTONBLACKLAB

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

Thanks Kurt, going to vet this morning. Daisy has had a solid stool twice in between her 6 days of diarrhea. I thought she was improving but back to Diarrhea. 

I will try the pumpkin and pedialyte.

I am a mess worried about her. In all other aspects, she is acting normally and appears fine.  I can't figure this out.

Can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your help.

#4 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

Usually problems of this kind are pretty easy to fix. Have you switched dog food brands recently? That can give you these same symptoms in some dogs.

But you are doing the right thing by going to the vet. Sometimes a medication is required to set the stomach right again. Please do keep us updated on how Daisy is doing. Sending you and Daisy best wishes and hopes for a quick recovery!

#5 BINGHAMTONBLACKLAB

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

UPDATE ON DAISY;

She is improving slowly, doing better. I don't think it was her food, I feed her Premium Edge, Senior formula. I was away for a week on holiday, got back and found her having diarrhea. She could of gotten into something. Her gas was extremely odorous when she was experiencing diarrhea.

Went to a local Vet on Wednesday, and today is Saturday - 1st time visit for us. Was very happy with our experience.

He performed a Fecal Flotation Exam- nothing found, tested negative.

I insisted on a blood test (GHP/CBC/Electrolytes), cost $95.The Vet thought it probably wasn't quite necessary. I wanted some peace of mind on this. All results of the tests were  in the normal range except for the Liver enzymes-it was slightly raised. He mentioned that this was normal for an older dog. I pray he is correct.

He prescribed Metronidazole (Flagyl) 500 mg and Loperamide 2 mg.

BTW- you can find Loperamide 2 mg at Walmart  .88 cents for 12 capsules. Vet charged me $10 for 20 capsules. Only needed 10. I am not complaining. I understand that there are huge costs running a Vet Hosp. Just passing this information along for others.   

Will keep you posted until complete recovery. Thanks again for your exceptional imput.

Tim

Attached Files

#6 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:09 AM

Thank you for the update, we appreciate it.

Who was watching your dog while you were out of town? Perhaps they gave your dog something to eat that did't agree with her? The fact that she had elevated liver enzymes could also have been the result of getting into something too. I am glad to hear that she is recovering. Sometimes you just can't do it on your own and a vet visit is required, you did the right thing.

Don't feel bad about spending the $95 on the blood panel test. It isn't going to go to waste. Your vet now has a "benchmark" on record. If Daisy gets sick in the future he'll be able to compare blood panel tests. That will help the vet with his diagnoses. He'll see "trending" in the blood results.

We once had a Dalmatian that got into the garbage one time and had the same result as Daisy. Not only did he have severe diarreah, but the gas was so bad that when he was in the vets office for treatment he stunk up the entire clinic!

About veterinary prescriptions. When your vet prescribes a medication you can ask them to write it out on a prescription pad and get it filled at a drug store or other pharmacy sometimes. It will cost less. Our vet prescribed our Sammy's heart meds from Walmart because the medication was on their $4.00 list. The vet said that was even below her cost of the med. So that's where we buy it from. But remember that these places won't carrry veterinary only meds, just the same meds that dogs take that humans do too.

Thanks for the photo! Daisy is a fine looking girl!

#7 BINGHAMTONBLACKLAB

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

FINAL UPDATE:

Daisy is doing great. Recovery sped up after 6-7 days after medications. I was expecting a quicker recovery. After seeing her back to her normal self, I now see how bad she was feeling. 

My advice if your lab experiences an episode of extended diarrhea. Don't wait too long to get to your Vet. You can get anti diarrhea medicine OTC at your local Walmart, but you probably will need a prescription the Vet for an antibiotic.  Thinking my dog will get better w/o going to the Vet may be bad decision.

Good luck, if it does happens again you'll be better able to care for your dog.

Tim

#8 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for the update. Sorry it took so long to respond.  Your response didn't pop up for me until today. Strange.

Yup, it's important to take your dog in when something like this goes on. After a few days diarrahea can dehydrate your dog and if it gets dehydrated enough your dog could go into shock. That's why I recommend Pedialyte in the meantime. It will prevent dehydration.

I am glad to hear Daisy is doing well again. May she continue with good health!

Kurt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users