• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 black maximus

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

hi maximus is now 10 months old and has started to swim in my pool last month- almost daily and anytime he wants. he just loves it.

the pool is a salt water chlorinated pool and iam wondering if this chlorine is harmful for him ( he also drinks this water, i have tried to stop this but he still does this).

so far he has no problems with his stomach or anything but i can see his coat starting to dry up a bit.

i do take him to a lake nearby once a week for a swim but the pool in m y backyard is his territory and he goes in at will.

any one has any advice on this chlorine issue and if there is a way to stop him from drinking the water.

regards

Attached Files

#2 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I have no answer for you but want to say what a handsome pup!

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

There is pool safety for dogs just as there is for humans. Here are the rules:

Make sure you dog knows where the steps are to exit the pool.

Try to train the dog only to go in when you say so. You really don't want him swimming unattended, yes dogs can and have drowned in swimming pools. You can train him for this by sitting him next to the pool and put him in a "Sit & Stay" command If he tries to jump in, give him a "no" command and return him to the Sit & Stay. Then say "OK" and let him go. He'll quickly learn that he has to have permission to go in.

Periodically test the pool water to make sure the pH and chlorine balance are within limits. You don't want to overclorinate your pool.

The best way to protect his coat is to rinse him off with regular water when he is done swimming for the day. And then puton a dog moisturizing rinse afterwards, leave on 5 minutes and rinse that off.

We have a pool and we teach our dogs to only go in it when they have permission. A few years ago one of our labs decidedto go swimming when the weather was 33F!(+2C). That was when the training started!

#4 black maximus

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

hi Kurt

thanks for that, yes he certainly knows the pool steps and all entry and exit points, the problem is i have not trained him for the permissions bit , but now i will, thanks.

#5 black maximus

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

thanks TraceyD, yes he is a good looking fellow, this was taken by a professsional photographer friend of mine

#6 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

I realized I wasn't clear enough in my response to you. When I mentioned using a dog moisturizer after rinsing your dog off you only have to do this about once per week. But do a clear water rinse after each time in the pool. If you have a garden hose that'll work fine. Dogs usually think of this as a game but it really helps protect against the drying effects of chlorine.

That is a great photo! Thanks for sending it to us.

#7 Zekes pal

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

My boy Zeke, now 11 has had free reign of my yard and pool since he was 5 months old.  He swims constantly, even in the puddles that form on the pool cover in the winter.  Never rinsed him, never trained him to not go in and he is one healthy and happy boy

I ate, I fetched, I swam, I ate again, I slept - Ya got a problem with that?

#8 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

Consider yourself very lucky!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users