• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bonnie Rose

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

My 18 month old lab is very thick through the chest but has no tummy at all. How do I know if he is fat? My vet did not say anything at his last check up but he saw another vet on an emergency basis and he said he was overweight. He is a very big dog 92 pounds.

#2 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com/2010/05/16/dog-body-condition-score-chart/

I used this chart a lot when I had a dog on a veterinary diet... it's a good tool.

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

It is so easy to fatten up a lab because they are always hungry! I think they would eat until they burst if humans weren't dishing up their food. And those eyes as they watch you eat! It only adds to the problem.

That chart that TraceyD linked to is excellent!

Here are some things to remember if you are trying to reduce your dog's weight.

Reduce the amount of food you serve daily very slowly. Take maybe a week to do this. This way the dog will not notice it so much.

You may want to switch to a lower calorie or reduced fat type of dog food.

And watch those yummies! If you must, substitute Melba toast (1/2 cracker at a time) as a treat.
And not more than 2 pieces at any given time. Remember when treating dogs it's not what you give them that is important to the dog, it's the fact that they are getting something from you in the first place is what's important to them.

And you can't make your dog lose weight just by reducing the food, just like in humans you have to include exercise in the weight reduction program. Ball and Frisbee are good games to play for this.

Do not over reduce your dog's food intake. A lab should have a minimum of 2 cups per day of dog food. Sometimes if you over reduce they may turn to poop eating.

When we were feeding our labs Blue Buffalo dog food they all gained about 18 lbs in just two months. It took us 6 months to get all that weight off of them using California Natural. So be patient, the weight will come off.

#4 Bonnie Rose

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. Trouble gets lots of exercise so guess I need to start cutting back on the food

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

It's important to remember that an overweight dog has more stress on the joints and can lead to other health issues.
When you look at your dog from the side, you should definitely see a point where the chest ends and then goes up to the stomach. If it's just a flat line from stomach to end of dog, your dog is overweight. You should be able to see the curve between the chest and stomach.

And remember, it takes time for dogs to reduce so be patient.

#6 tajabigdog

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

mine is almost 8 and weighs 92.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users