Photo

Holiday Foods - Can I feed them to my dog?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:29 AM

A lot of people feed their dogs table scraps after a traditional holiday dinner. It's always best not to do this, but if you must here is some advice to follow. On Friday or Monday after Thanksgiving a lot of vets see dogs with tummy problems. Every year my vet issues a list of foods that your dog can safely have without getting sick. Remember moderation is the key.

Turkey, Beef, Chicken - no more than 4 oz, and do not serve with gravy of any kind. Try to remove as much spice as possible.

Potatoes - Up to three ounces, with no butter or gravy.

Vegetables - up to 3 oz, green vegetables such as green beans, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, etc. are ok. No butter or sauces on them.

Usually it's the grease or the spices from the food that makes your dog sick.

Cake, pie, pudding, etc. - No. Don't tempt your luck. A small amount (1 oz) of jello may be ok. Absolutely no chocolate of any kind!  Chocolate is poisonous to dogs!

Don't give your dog any poultry bones at all. These can shatter and cause internal injury. Rib (beef or pork) bones are also a no no for the same reason).

If your dog does get sick, try 2 tablespoons of Pepto Bismol.

And remember, do not feed foods directly from the table. Take the food in the kitchen and serve the dog from it's own bowl.

Have A Merry Christmas Everyone!

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

And this goes for Christmas too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users