HELP BLACK LABRADOR

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:35 AM

ADMIN PLEASE PIN

CALLING ON ALL BL MEMBERS

OK, we are jumping in the deep end with no apologies

As members who have become dedicated to Black Labrador its community and what it stands for, we feel that as a result of recent events with the spammers that Admin and the Moderators are being overwhelmed and swamped, which is effecting BL and leaving Admin and the Moderators open to criticism.(including some from ourselves)

What we are asking, is for members of the Black Labrador Community to get involved and post ideas that will help Admin in the running of this site, which to us is unique.

We will kick of the process:

We feel that a "Terms of Reference" (or as another member has suggested "Terms of Usage or Service)that spells out what is permissable and what is not, be drawn up (thats if BL dosent already have them) and used as part of the registration process for new members who will have to agree and sign up to them via their personal e-mail as part of the registration process before they can participate in BL.

Existing members it is fairly straight forward, if the "Terms of Reference" are highlighted, pinned and displayed members can sign up to it via the following posts, with a gentle reminder for the forgetful.

This is then a matter of record with no arguments when a unsavoury member joins BL is in breach and is removed without warning.

Bottomline is, "if you dont sign up to the Terms of Refrence" you cannot participate in BL, fairly straight forward for new members, existing involved members committed on BL will have their eye on the ball and will remind Admin that someone needs to sign up via the site.

Hope this is helpful.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#2 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

I thank all the members that have offered advice on improving our site. Kurt's offer to be a mod is terrific and I hope that Admin will take advantage of his fine offer. It's been years since most long time posters have first signed on to BL.com. It's the new computer generated crap that's the main headache.

I seem to remember that I had to provide my email address in order to become a member. That way I am able to receive the notices of personal messages from another member. Can someone tell me, Is this correct? So, if I haven't suffered another senior moment, the Admin already has email addresses for the people on this site. I doubt that the email addresses are checked to see if they are genuine. Perhaps that could be considered. If you want to join, you sign up, agree to terms of service and within a reasonable time -(the mods would have to set this "clock") - after a check on the return address the new member would be able to post.

ViolentStorm has a strong knowledge of these "spam-bots" and ways to defeat them. Perhaps Admin should send VS a private message with a phone number so that they can brain-storm on this subject. VS can be a huge help in moving us into safer territory.

Our beloved Admin has handled all the fees and problems totally on his own. The members of BL.com are grateful for all the time, energy and money spent to keep this alive. Please think of how we can improve our site and then share it with the rest of our cyber community.

#3 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the nod Mom.

This is our current TOS (Terms of Service).

"Forum Terms & Rules

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board."

It is a pretty general, catch all TOS. The following is the TOS I use for my sites.

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You may use adult language and adult situations in some areas of this forum to some degree. Those areas are designated by the Admin and are marked as adult areas. The extent to what is acceptable will be determined by the Admin. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum. You may not attempt to circumvent any safeguards, alter any software, or attempt to gain access to any part or parts of this forum which are off limits to your particular user group.

You the user understand and submit that any information you post to this site automatically becomes the property of this site, and it is unlawful to post information or data to this site from any other site or source unless you own said information or data.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason. We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft. You are not allowed to have multiple user names.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

You must register your age, if you fail to register an age your account can and or will be deleted without notice.

The owner and administrators of this site reserve the right to delete and or ban your account at any time for any reason with or without notice.

Edit to Add:

I have on occasion had some complaints after banning members that I am infringing on their First Amendment rights. I simply explain it to them like this. If you are creating problems in my house, I am within my rights to ask you to leave, if you refuse to leave, I am within my rights to make you leave by force if required. A web site such as this is property of the person paying the bills. In essence, Ron is a benevolent dictator. wink.gif
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#4 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hi Matt

As you say the present TOS are catch all without any clout written at a time when it wasn't needed and must be tightened because of the present climate, really like your your TOS particularly around the enforcement clauses which are straight forward without being heavyhanded or bureaucratic in understandable plain language that spells it out.

BL needs something like this, hopefully Ron will seek your help in redrafting the present TOS which will be a good starting point, so BL can move on to the next level.

Doug & Mary

#5 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, things will get worked out.

Unfortunately, all the TOS does is gives you an out for any arguments that ensue from deleting or banning real people. And if you want to go through the legal rigmarole you can seek legal action against those who write the spam bot programs. But it is a long and hard fight.

But yes, it will help with future problems, and what not. Good idea to bring this up.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#6 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Please help!!! I am not real computer savvy and can't find where I am supposed to register. If I lost this site right now I don't know what I would do. HELP!
IPB Image

#7 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

No Panic Linda,

You already registered when you joined the site, dont worry you are not going lose the BL mob, or the BL mob lose you.

Doug & Mary

#8 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

Linda, fear not. You are one of us and you're not going anywhere. We could not post if we were not registered.

#9 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hi Ron

Like the new format, apart from helping with the spammers, it is defintely faster.

Welldone.

Doug & Mary

#10 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thank you for noticing! I think you are right the site seems faster. Also, I think it a bit easier to get around the site--should be good for new memebers. I really like the new gallery view.

Thanks,

Ron
Blacklabrador.com
Admin

#11 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

I have to give Kudo's to everyone that has made BL what it is today! I love the new look, lets just hope that this takes care of all of our unwanted guests. Thanks to all that have made this happen!
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#12 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

Looking good Ron.

Doug & Mary

#13 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

Doug and Mary,

Thanks for the kind words. It is appreciated more than you will ever know!:D:D:D:D:D

Sincerely,

Ron
Blacklabrador.com
Admin

#14 StormSurge

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:My fur kids, trying to be a great Dad, video games, surfing the 'net, watching Seinfeld & The Wire, taking naps, playing hoop.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

I mentioned it in the other thread, but I'll echo it here.

The new upgrade is fantastic! Thanks!!!!

#15 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

Got to Thank Ron.

When BL went down today, because of other commitments he wasn't aware.

As soon we e-mailed him to advise him he sorted it out, which is great and proves that members and Admin can work together in a proactive way that makess the BL family and the BL community the envy of others.

Doug & Mary

#16 bruiser

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

I dont know what the place looked like before but I think it looks like a nice place with the subjects for different topics well listed I have already found some great info on the site and hope to make good use of the site and add what I can. As I had said in my intro I am new to the dog world with Bruiser being my first dog I have always been around them but never owned my own.

Thanks for this site

Cheers Mike

#17 Tara Too

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Dogs (duh!), 2d Amendment, Emergency Medical Services, Navy (retired)

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

This is a wonderfully designed and run board. We got our Tara on 31 Dec 2009, brought her home on 1 Jan 2010. Had no idea what kind or color of dog we would come home with until 31 Dec. Just knew it would be a young female, rescued from a pound. Hopped on my PC the 2d or the day after, checked my mail, clicked Google. The first time I Googled "Black Labrador Retriever" I found this & browsed around a bit to catch the flavor ... or should I say the scent, since this is BL, not a cooking board? I have been using various forms of computer network boards since 1988, or maybe as early as 1985. Trust me, this is one of the best.

I am quite willing to have some form of automated testing to ensure applicants are live people (or BLs) and not computers to gain entry here, and would not mind automated mailings to our e-mail addresses a couple of times a year to ensure we are still on top of the lawn and not under it. There might be a problem with folks being away from their keyboards for long periods, and for the "lurkers" who only belong to read what others say.

And, I encourage other members, and especially you lurkers, to comment and suggest what WE can do to help, not just those who do all the tech work for us.

-- Mike, and Tara too

#18 corynleta

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing,camping,music,art,Jesus Christ and my family

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all that has made this site what it is. BL has been VERY helpful to me in my time of need. Keep up the good work, you who are all invovled, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! You are very appreciated!

#19 Lucky's Dad

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hello Everybody. Great site. Thanks for all the work to set it up. I love my dogs and this site is going to be a great resource. I love the pictures and want to put up lots of Lucky and Brock.

#20 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

Glad to have everyone here as part of our Black Lab Pack!!!!
Blacklabrador.com
Admin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users