Poor Rusty

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:38 PM

http://news.sky.com/...1247225,00.html

More doggy news from the UK, that might interest you. Rusty is a chocolate lab who got to eleven and a half stone through overfeeding. The owners were found guilty of cruelty in Magistrates court today. (For US readers one stone is 14 pounds)
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#2 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

Poor doggy.. My dogs would go nuts not being excersized... we cannot miss a day of our walk.. no matter the weather..
I swear if they get that poor dog on a lowfat diet sans corn.. he will slim down. NO one should eat corn.. the meat industry grossly overfeeds all it's animals for slaughter..corn to fatten them up so they gain weight before selling..
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#3 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

oooooooooh He is the fattest lab I have ever seen!
poor guy.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#4 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Now I understand the dog has arthritis, but so does Tessa and she loves to go out for a walk, even if she's having a 'bad leg day'.
How on earth these 2 idiots were allowed to take him home and continue having him as a pet is beyond me. Just another example of the UK Justice system eh Ian?
That poor dog will no doubt stay the same size or become even larger until tragedy inevitably happens.
Shame on these 2 men and more shame on the magistrates for letting them get off so lightly.
Carolyne

#5 pam

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:55 PM

Poor boy. I'll assume they have ruled out any kind of thyroid imbalance. You have to wonder what they were letting him get into ... thick cream, margarine? Let's face it, some people do that to their kids. This case may set an interesting precedent, for dogs and people!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" ~The Wind in the Willows

#6 ian

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:I'm a staff nurse. I assist in the training and re homing of dogs.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

This story made me sick.

And they got to keep him!
If it looks like it works and it feels like it works
Then it works

Mans best friend

#7 black_knight

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

That poor dog! Makes one mad when you see people mistreating a pet like that. And for them to get him back to care for, oh! I am upset at that.
This is definitely cruelty.

#8 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (Carolyne @ Jan 12 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I understand the dog has arthritis, but so does Tessa and she loves to go out for a walk, even if she's having a 'bad leg day'.
How on earth these 2 idiots were allowed to take him home and continue having him as a pet is beyond me. Just another example of the UK Justice system eh Ian?
That poor dog will no doubt stay the same size or become even larger until tragedy inevitably happens.
Shame on these 2 men and more shame on the magistrates for letting them get off so lightly.

There's another thing here too though. It says that they were given a warning SIX YEARS ago! The owners are clearly mostly to blame, unless the dog DOES have a clinical problem, but why did the RSPCA allow this to go on another 6 years? I know that they have limited resources, but there can't have been a very effective follow up, but maybe I'm being hard on the RSPCA, because they did the right thing in the end. I just wish they'd acted a lot sooner.
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#9 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (IanWilkinson @ Jan 13 2007, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's another thing here too though. It says that they were given a warning SIX YEARS ago! The owners are clearly mostly to blame, unless the dog DOES have a clinical problem, but why did the RSPCA allow this to go on another 6 years? I know that they have limited resources, but there can't have been a very effective follow up, but maybe I'm being hard on the RSPCA, because they did the right thing in the end. I just wish they'd acted a lot sooner.

Shocking isn't it. That this was allowed to go for so long. I'm still seething from seeing it on the news yeterday. These men are grown adults who at their age should have such a clear understanding as to how a pet should be cared for. Also, By the looks and attitudes of them, they don't seem to be too concerned or sorry for what they've done.
Carolyne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users